Our Creamed Peas and New Potatoes Recipe is everything you’ve been wishing for in a comfort food plus it’s simple to make which is always a good thing! I really love this creamed peas recipe and it’s easy to add new potatoes to save even more time! Creamed peas and potatoes in a wonderful creamy sauce is the perfect side dish. Oh and it’s ready in under 30 minutes! 🙂
A Southern Classic- Creamed Peas and New Potatoes Recipe
You know how sometimes you crave a little down-home-cooking? My best friend, Carol Ray, was born and raised in Texas and this recipe came from her. When she makes up a batch of these southern delights- I’m ALL over it!
We adore this Slow Cooker Creamed Corn! It’s SO good too. Find more of our favorite southern inspired recipes below! 🙂
Ingredients for Creamed Peas and New Potatoes Recipe
• Vegetables- Shelled or frozen green peas and tiny new potatoes!
• Simple flavors- Green onion, salt, and white pepper
• Creamy Sauce- butter, flour, and milk. Start making your rue: to do this melt the butter in a medium sauce pan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minutes to remove the flour (starchy) taste then slow add in the milk, whisking vigorously through the end of the cook time.
How to make Creamed Peas and New Potatoes Recipe
- Scrub potatoes and boil until tender; drain.
- Meanwhile cook peas until tender; drain.
- Cook onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Slowly add milk; stir with wire whisk.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 or 2 minutes more.
- Combine vegetables and cream mixture.
- Serve and Enjoy!
We hope you also enjoy some of these other southern inspired recipes
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Southern Black Beans and Rice Recipe
- Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice
- Panfried Catfish with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Southwest Chicken Chowder
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Essence Creole Seasoning
- Brisket with Rosemary Potato Hash
- Chicken Enchilada Cornbread Pie
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Southwest Chicken and Rice
- Jalapeno Honey Cornbread
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
You’ll be so happy you gave these Creamed Peas and New Potatoes a try and they’ll go just perfectly with any protein you’ve got a fixin’.
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. If you get a chance to make our recipes then leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie, pin us on Pinterest, or follow along with us on Facebook so we can share in the joy of cooking with you! Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you!! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends! Our hearts sing when you do. We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here.
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
- Buttermilk Greek Yogurt Pancakes Recipe
- Tres Leches Cake with Strawberries Recipe
- Green Chili Black Beans Recipe
- Starbucks Orange Mango Smoothie Recipe
- Green Tea Protein Smoothie Recipe
- Elk Chili Recipe
- French Pâte à Crêpes Recipe
- Hot Turkey Provolone Sandwich with Basil Mayo Recipe
- Philly Cheesesteak Pockets Recipe
- Lemon Garlic Steak Marinade Recipe
- Chicken Fricassee Recipe
- Southern Black Beans and Rice Recipe