Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice will make momma proud, authentic gumbo right at home!
Aaaaanndddd… it’s Fit Fri-YAY!!! You know the drill– The fabulous Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness is here to inspire us!!
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice is a fantastic Fall recipe! Mmm-mmmm… I remember my mom making this for us when I was expecting Carter. I loved it and can not wait to have it again!!! I’m also craving these other Fall dishes right now– ahhhh! My mouth. is. watering. Cauliflower Cheese Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Croutons — Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup (the hubby LOVES this one) — Potato Soup (Seriously craving this so bad rn. This is an unforgettable family fave!!!)
I am refocusing on the importance of morning workouts and starting the day out right. This is not only because I believe in it but also because I need the reminder of why I believe in it. I have gotten away from my early morning workouts and it has been hard to get them going again. A few days a week I have given up my early mornings to clients and I have found on the other days I want to sleep.
Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice is that sweater weather dish you’ve been waiting for– bring on Fall!!!
Nicole, Ruthie & Madeliene
- 1 tablespoon + ¼ cup canola oil, divided
- ½ pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, cut crosswise ½ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon essence or creole seasoning (recipe follows)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 9 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- Hot sauce
- Essence Creole Seasoning:
- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in small jar; mix well.
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat one tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until well browned, approximately 8 minutes.
- Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with essence and add to the pot cooking in sausage fat.
- Cook over medium high heat until well browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from pan, and let cool, and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine remaining ¼ cup oil with flour in the same dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook; stirring slowly and constantly for 20-25 minutes, to make a dark roux the color of dark chocolate.
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and cook; stirring until wilted 4-5 minutes.
- Add the reserved sausage, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves and stir.
- Cook for 2 minutes, while stirring slowly pour chicken broth and cook until well combined.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a medium-low; cook uncovered for approximately 1 hour.
- Add the reserved chicken and continue simmering for another 1 ½ hours; skimming off any fat that rises to the surface.
- Remove the pot from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken and place on a cutting board to slightly cool.
- Pull the chicken meat from the bones and shred, discarding the bones and skin.
- Return the meat to the gumbo.
- Stir in the green onions, parsley, and file.
- In 2 quart sauce pan, combine rice, broth, butter, salt, and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes- covered and undisturbed.
- Uncover and fluff with fork; remove bay leaf and serve.
- Spoon rice into the bottom of deep bowls or large cups and ladle the gumbo on top.
- Serve, passing hot sauce on the side.