Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Rice Recipe will make momma proud, authentic gumbo right at home! I love this recipe because it’s got chicken thighs, andouille or kielbasa sausage, and the secret spices Essence Creole Seasoning recipe too.
You’ll impress all your guests with your authentic southern gumbo when they come to dinner at your house.
Why we love Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Rice Recipe
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Rice Recipe is a fantastic Fall recipe! I learned to make this recipe in Culinary School with my instructor who was from the southern states and he made sure we did it right!
Mmm-mmmm… I remember my mom making this for us when I was expecting Carter. I loved it and can not wait to have it again.
Ingredients in Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Rice Recipe
- canola oil
- chicken thighs
- smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa
- essence or creole seasoning (recipe follows)
- all purpose flour
- chopped onions
- bell pepper
- bay leaves
- chicken broth
- green onions
- parsley leaves
- file powder
Fall inspired Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Rice Recipe
I’m also craving these other Fall soups right now– ahhhh!
My mouth. is. watering. Cauliflower Cheese Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Croutons — Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup (the hubby LOVES this one) — Potato Soup (Seriously craving this so bad right now. This is an unforgettable family fave!).
- 1 tablespoon + ¼ cup canola oil, divided
- 2 pounds chicken thighs
- ½ pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, cut crosswise ½ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon essence or creole seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 9 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- Hot sauce
- Essence Creole Seasoning:
- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in small jar; mix well.
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat one tablespoon of oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until well browned, approximately 8 minutes.
- Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with essence and add to the pot cooking in sausage fat.
- Cook over medium high heat until well browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from pan, and let cool, and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine remaining ¼ cup oil with flour in the same dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook; stirring slowly and constantly for 20-25 minutes, to make a dark roux the color of dark chocolate.
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and cook; stirring until wilted 4-5 minutes.
- Add the reserved sausage, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves and stir.
- Cook for 2 minutes, while stirring slowly pour chicken broth and cook until well combined.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a medium-low; cook uncovered for approximately 1 hour.
- Add the reserved chicken and continue simmering for another 1 ½ hours; skimming off any fat that rises to the surface.
- Remove the pot from heat.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken and place on a cutting board to slightly cool.
- Pull the chicken meat from the bones and shred, discarding the bones and skin.
- Return the meat to the gumbo.
- Stir in the green onions, parsley, and file.
- In 2 quart sauce pan, combine rice, broth, butter, salt, and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes- covered and undisturbed.
- Uncover and fluff with fork; remove bay leaf and serve.
- Spoon rice into the bottom of deep bowls or large cups and ladle the gumbo on top.
- Serve, passing hot sauce on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 622Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 4145mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g
More Southern Recipes
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Southern Black Beans and Rice Recipe
- Creamed Peas and New Potatoes
- Panfried Catfish with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Southwest Chicken Chowder
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Essence Creole Seasoning
- Brisket with Rosemary Potato Hash
- Chicken Enchilada Cornbread Pie
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Southwest Chicken and Rice
- Jalapeno Honey Cornbread
Our Chicken and Sausage Gumbo with Rice Recipe is that sweater weather dish you’ve been waiting for– bring on Fall!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene