Grilled Red Wine and Garlic Elk Steak Recipe is a flavorful marinade for elk, venison, and even beef steaks! If you’re a hunter, or know a hunter who’s generous enough to share their bounty with you, then you simply must know the trick to making an amazing elk steak, is in the marinade! Wild game like Elk and Deer have a “gamey” flavor which is a mild sour taste that shows up towards the end of each bite. . . some people love it and others would rather tone it down a bit.
Grilled Red Wine and Garlic Elk Steak Recipe
Our Grilled Red Wine Elk and Garlic Steak Recipe works magic on that gamey flavor! You’ll be thrilled with every bite of the most tender and flavorful elk steaks you’ve EVER had! The red wine in the marinade combined with all the other ingredients, help to tenderize and enrich the natural flavors of the elk. It’s ever so lovely. Also, if you happen to have any ground elk meat to cook with, then you’ll love this Elk Chili Recipe!
The creation of our Grilled Red Wine and Garlic Elk Steak Recipe!
I’m one of those lucky people who have friends that share their hunting treasures with me. I was recently looking through the freezer and remembered about the elk steaks that my neighbors had given to me last fall. So, I decided to pull them out and that’s how our Grilled Red Wine Elk and Garlic Steak Recipe was created! I’ll forever love how quickly a recipe just seems to “come to me” as I’m creating in the kitchen, that starts with a spark of inspiration!
Our Grilled Red Wine and Garlic Elk Steak Recipe is the marinade of all marinades for many cuts of elk and venison meat:
- Elk Steaks
- Elk Backstrap
- Elk Tenderloin
- Elk Chops/Medallions
Tips for cooking elk and venison:
- DO NOT over cook your elk or venison steaks once they reach 130 degrees F; remove from heat immediately
- Allow elk or venison steak to rest for 3-5 minutes under a foil tent
- With this hold over cooking will take place so the temperature will increase; it’s best enjoyed at 135-140 F
- Elk steaks are very lean and will dry out extremely quick so don’t leave them unattended during the grilling
You may also enjoy these additional sides with your elk steaks:
- Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe
- Browned Butter Broccoli and Mizithra Cheese Recipe
- Grilled Asparagus Recipe
- Honey Lemon Vinaigrette with Mixed Greens Salad
- Jalapeno Honey Cornbread
Tips & Tricks for Grilling:
- Take meat our of fridge to bring it to room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Clean the BBQ grill grate with a metal scraper,
- To reduce sticking spray generously with cooking spray before igniting grill so it does not flame up.
- Preheat your grill on high, scrape again if needed to remove any really tough to remove areas.
- Create heat zones for two stage cooking;
- Stage One: heat one side of grill to high heat; sear the meat on each side for 2 minutes, rotating to get cross-hatching marks.
- Stage Two: heat second side of grill to low or off; place the seared meat here until reaches desired temperature.
- Invest in a high quality probe thermometer.
- To get the best reading; probe the meat on the side inserting the probe into the center of the cut of meat.
- Once meat reaches 5 degrees below desired temperature move to a resting plate and tent with foil to keep warm without sweating.
- Rest meat for 5 minutes to slow the juices.
- Serve and Enjoy!
[mv_create key=”1052″ title=”Grilled Red Wine and Garlic Elk Steak Recipe” thumbnail=”https://cookingwithruthie.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Grilled-red-wine-elk-steak-2.jpg” type=”recipe”]
Grilled Red Wine Elk and Garlic Steak Recipe is a mouth-watering recipe for elk and venison steaks!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments! If you get a chance to make this recipe, leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie so that we can share the joy of cooking with you!
One more thing before you go! Be inspired with CWR Recipe, Travel, and a variety of Etceteras every week by signing up to receive our emails! Click here to subscribe. We send out our newest posts, a collection of our latest favorites, and more! We love to stay connected with you.
Ruthie & Madeliene