Our slightly sweet oven baked Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe is the perfect side dish for dinner tonight! I love the aromatics that fill the house while our banana squash recipes are baking. I adore snitching squash recipes hot off the pan–I can’t stand to wait! I’m a big fan of early sampling. It’s one of the pleasures of being the one who cooks! If your a squash lover like me than our tips on how to cook banana squash will come in handy!
Our love of Banana Squash
My love of winter squash began in childhood–I can remember sitting with my back to the oven door and feeling the warmth of it. Our Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe for over an hour gave me plenty of time to feel the radiant heat. The aromas wafting around me as I waited for the timer to announce it was done cooking.
Then our squash was ready to be enjoyed! (truth be told. . . occasionally I still sit with my back to the oven door to wait!) Today’s baked banana squash or baked squash of any variety for that matter is nearly as good as it gets.
This recipe works great with other varieties of winter squash
• acorn squash
• butternut squash
• crook-necked squash
• pattypan squash
How to cook Banana Squash
If you grow banana squash in your garden or find them at the local grocery store you’ll notice that they range in size and they can grow to be quite ginormous!
• Banana squash can grow to over 3 feet long and weigh up to 100 pounds so pick one that you can easily manage or sometimes grocery stores cut them into smaller portions and package them to sell.
• If your banana squash is small enough to fit in the microwave; slice off the top and bottom of the squash and microwave it for 3-5 minutes on high. It will cut easily after it is softened.
• Cutting them in half lengthwise makes them easier to manage, then de-seed, and cut each half into your desired serving size; try to slice them similar sizes so they’re done baking at the same time.
• If you have really large sized banana squash; I’ve found it’s handy let gravity do the hard work! To break into larger pieces drop the banana squash to the ground aiming for it to land on a clean sheet or towel. I do this outside on the cement driveway or side walk. It will break into smaller odd-sized sections but sometimes it’s the best option! 🙂
- 1 banana squash, if it's really large use half
- 3 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Cut squash into 10-12 individual sized pieces, wash under running water, pat dry.
- Using a sharp knife make parallel cuts 1/4" deep.
- Rotate squash and repeat; forming a checker board.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Press butter cubes into scoring then sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice evenly over squash.
- Bake 1 hour- 1 hour and 15 minutes until soft when poked with a fork and lightly browned.
- Enjoy your Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 48Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g
More Winter Squash Recipes
A Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe to enjoy your winter squash!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene