This sweet but mild tasting Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe is the perfect side dish for dinner tonight! I love the aromas that fill the house while banana squash is baking then to enjoy one hot off the pan because there is no way I can stand to wait! I’m a big fan of early sampling. . . it’s one of the BEST parts of being the cook!
(*** new photo***)
We love Banana Squash!
My love of winter squash began in childhood as I remember sitting with my back to the oven door feeling the warmth of the oven give me goose-bumps from head to toe. The aromas wafting out around me as I waited for the timer to announce that they were done and ready to be enjoyed! (truth be told. . . sometimes I still sit with my back to the oven door while I wait!)
This recipe is wonderful with other varieties of winter squash too:
• acorn squash
• butternut squash
• crook-necked squash
• pattypan squash
Tips & Tricks for Banana Squash:
If you grow banana squash in your garden or find them at the local grocery store you’ll notice that they range in size and they can grow to be quite ginormous!
• Banana squash can grow to over 3 feet long and weigh up to 100 pounds so pick one that you can easily manage or sometimes grocery stores cut them into smaller portions and package them to sell.
• If your banana squash is small enough to fit in the microwave; slice off the top and bottom of the squash and microwave it for 3-5 minutes on high. It will cut easily after it is softened.
• Cutting them in half lengthwise makes them easier to manage, then de-seed, and cut each half into your desired serving size; try to slice them similar sizes so they’re done baking at the same time.
• If you have really large sized banana squash; I’ve found it’s handy let gravity do the hard work! To break into larger pieces drop the banana squash to the ground aiming for it to land on a clean sheet or towel. I do this outside on the cement driveway or side walk. It will break into smaller odd-sized sections but sometimes it’s the best option! 🙂
- 1 banana squash, if it's really large use half
- 3 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Cut squash into 10-12 individual sized pieces, wash under running water, pat dry.
- Using a sharp knife make parallel cuts 1/4" deep.
- Rotate squash and repeat; forming a checker board.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Press butter cubes into scoring then sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice evenly over squash.
- Bake 1 hour- 1 hour and 15 minutes until soft when poked with a fork and lightly browned.
More Winter Squash Recipes you may also enjoy:
Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe is a delicious way to bake up your winter squash!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. . . if you get a chance to make this recipe leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie so we can share the joy of cooking with you!
One more thing before you go!. . . be inspired with CWR Recipe, Travel, and a variety of Etceteras every week by signing up to receive our emails! Click here to subscribe. We send out our newest posts, a collection of our latest favorites, and more! We love to stay connected with you.
Ruthie & Madeliene