Apple, Roasted Butternut Squash, Pepitas Salad is fabulous for all your autumn gatherings. . . anything from football games to thanksgiving dinner!
Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness is here to hang out with us. I love having her visit and inspire our fitness! A Healthy Recipe, Apple, Roasted Butternut Squash, Pepitas Salad from me + Fall Fit Tips from Nichole = a healthy, happy, and balanced life!
Apple, Roasted Butternut Squash, Pepitas Salad is heavenly with our Apple Cinnamon Vinaigrette from last week! Ohhhhh my. You’re taste buds won’t even be able to handle it!
Then, we’re tossing on some of our Honey Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash from Wednesday and every guest at your table will be so impressed!
Apple, Roasted Butternut Squash, Pepitas Salad. . . are you familiar with Pepitas? The name pepita comes from the Mexican Spanish phrase, pepita de calabaza, which translates to “little seed of squash.” Pepitas often refer to the seeds of pumpkins, although they can also come from other varieties of squash. Raw pepitas are flat, oval-shaped green seeds that are removed from pumpkins and then dried for eating.
These pumpkin seeds may be little, but they sure pack a lot of nutrition, including:
1) Protein: Each one-ounce serving of pepitas provides a whopping ten grams of protein. Talk about an ideal post-workout snack!
2) Dietary Fiber: Pepitas also provide three grams of dietary fiber to support a healthy digestive system. Foods rich in fiber can help lower “LDL” bad cholesterol levels.
3) Minerals: Pumpkin seeds are also a great source of minerals like phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. Phosphorus is important for bone health, magnesium is involved in over 600 chemical reactions in the body and zinc supports immune system health.
4) Iron: A single serving of pepitas provides 15 percent of the recommended daily value for iron. This mineral is important for transporting oxygen-rich red blood cells throughout the body.
5) Essential Fatty Acids: High in plant-based omega-3s (known as alpha-linolenic acid or ALA), pepitas can help lower inflammation levels and offer balance to your diet.
6) Antioxidants: Pumpkin seeds contain numerous compounds with antioxidant capabilities. One such compound, vitamin E, is available in a wide variety of forms in pumpkin seeds. Vitamin E offers significant protection against free radicals and toxins.
** for more information go to Nut.com
Miss Nichole’s Fall Fit Tips. . .
Fall is in the air. That means crisp fresh air and craziness at my house. Really….I have a love-hate relationship with Fall. I love the crisp air, I love the leaves, I love feeling the cool sunshine on my face. I hate how busy my husband gets and feeling like winter is right around the corner.
Apple, Roasted Butternut Squash, Pepitas Salad is a beautiful autumn creation waiting to impress all your guest!
Much Love and Peace~
Nichole and Ruthie
Apple, Roasted Butternut Squash, Pepitas Salad
- Divide greens between two serving plates.
- Top greens with remaining ingredients; divided equally.
- Serve with Apple Cinnamon Vinaigrette.