Today’s Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe & Greece Travel highlights will bring the beauty of the Mediterranean right to you. Our Mastiha liquor cocktails are a must-try! On my first evening there, after dinner by the seaside, we were served Skinos Mastiha Liqueur. This recipe was inspired by that mastiha evening–enjoy our Lemon Mastiha Cocktails recipe with this sweet and tantalizing liquor!
Why we love Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe
Todays Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe beautifully captures all the love I feel for Greece in one refreshing cocktail. My desire to travel to Greece and experience the Mediterranean cuisine, history, and stunning natural beauty began many years ago.
It’s something I’ve wanted to do for so long simply because, I love it! I’m often asked what my favorite kind of food to cook is and my answer has always been . . . Mediterranean! Why?
Because I love the fresh and healthy aspects of it. Many scientific studies have shown the positive effect of a balanced Greek diet on a person’s health, beauty, and longevity.
Excited to share my Greece Travel adventures!
As all of you know, I have a healthy dose of wanderlust that calls to my heart! My recent wanderings took me to the stunningly beautiful country of Greece. I loved every moment of being immersed in the cuisine, culture, history, and experiences of this breath taking land.
Ingredients Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe
- Skinos Mastiha Liqueur
- sparkling soda
- fresh lemons
- fresh blueberries
- crushed ice
About Skinos Mastiha Liqueur
• The only distilled mastiha spirit in the world. Excellent quality derived from an ancient distillation recipe. Skinos spirit is highly versatile and is ideal as an aperitif, digestif, or in a cocktail. Similar to a sweet version of Gin.
• In Greece, mastiha (Greek: μαστίχα) is a sweet liqueur produced with the mastica resin produced from the Greek island of Chios. This is the original Mastica liqueur, not to be confused with mastika from Bulgaria or other balkan nations.
• The under water volcanoes, mild climate, and lime consisting soil of the Mediterranean island of Chios, along with a tradition, rooted deeply in the ancient years, of cultivation and harvesting, make mastiha world unique.
• Greek Mastiha is made by distilling the mastiha crystals. Sugar is typically added. It is a sweet liqueur that is typically consumed at the end of a meal. It has a very unique and distinct flavor, reminiscent of pine and herbs.
• Mastiha has medicinal properties and aids in digestion.
Mastiha Medicinal Properties
• Ancient Greeks knew it as a cure for bellyaches. Roman emperors used to spice their wine with it. Turkish Sultans harem ladies chewed it for fresh breath and fighting boredom. From a small Mediterranean island, Mastiha has traveled & conquered the world with its distinctive aroma and mysterious attributes.
• Tradition meets contemporary times the production of Mastiha Spirits is the outcome of a tedious and thorough work associated with nature. Traditional techniques of cultivation, harvesting and cleaning are combined with state of the art technology.
• From the ancient times to the recent years, pharmacology has recognized the unique therapeutic effects of Mastiha and sparked a widespread interest:
- Hippocrates [500BC], the Father of medicine used to mix Mastiha with honey to cure bellyaches & fight cold.
- Dioscurides [100BC], doctor & herbalist, recognized Mastiha as extremely good for the stomach, the digestion & the teeth [gums & whitening effect].
- Rebasius, Soranos the Ephesian, Etius Medicus, Scribonius Largus suggested numerous remedies with Mastiha.
- The University of Nottingham revealed that even small quantities of Mastiha can cure peptic ulcers.
Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe
Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe will bring the beauty of the Mediterranean right to you.
- 7 ounces Skinos Mastiha Liqueur, chilled
- 1 liter sparkling soda, chilled
- 3 lemons
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 cups crushed ice
1. Using a wooden skewer poke each blueberry once inserting from top to base and place in a large bowl.
2. Combine 3 ounces Skinos Mastiha Liqueur, toss to coat, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to soak.
3. In a freezer safe container or zip top baggie spread blueberries in a single layer and freeze for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Thinly slice 1 lemon into rounds to garnish rims.
5. Remaining 2 lemons; cut in half for a fresh squeeze of lemon juice in each cocktail.
6. To serve: add 1/2 cup crushed ice, 1/2 cup Skinos Mastiha Liqueur blueberries, 1 ounce Skinos Mastiha Liqueur, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and fill to the top with sparkling soda water.
7. Cheers and enjoy your Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 4gSugar: 49gProtein: 3g
Travel Highlights from Greece
A few highlights from my travels in Greece.. this is just a quick look at some of the historical sites and beautiful areas that I visited! I’ll be sharing many more pictures, recipes, and adventures over the next few weeks!
More Greek Recipes
delight in the beauty of Greece in our Culinary Journey Around the World posts
• Greek Feta and Roasted Pepper Spread with Flat Bread
• Horiatiki Greek Village Salad & Acropolis of Athens
• Greek Baked Fries with Feta & Oregano Recipe
• Greek Lamb Burger with Yogurt Mint Sauce
OHhhhh wait AND. . . we have exciting news!
Madeliene and her husband, Spencer, had a bouncing baby boy last week! So, in celebration (and exhaustion- let’s be honest!) we took last week off. We’re so happy to have him here with us, so grateful that mom and baby are doing great. Big brother Carter is adorable with little Charlie and watches over him very closely. 🙂
Enjoy our Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe with your friends this weekend!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: email@example.com. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Cooking with Ruthie on Instagram
Cooking with Ruthie on Pinterest
Cooking with Ruthie on Facebook
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
**To read more click My Skinos and Mastiha
Kevin Brand says
Thank you for the Blueberry Lemon Mastiha Cocktail Recipe, it was absolutely delicious!
I’m so glad you enjoyed this cocktail. . . I love it too! Cheers 🙂
Thanks for this great recipe. I plan to try it with my girlfriend this weekend.
I LOVE this recipe… I hope you enjoyed! 🙂