Are you asking yourself “what in the world is that?” Spanakopita is a Greek appetizer that’s packed with two kinds of cheese and spinach! YUM.
Spanakopita is just fun to say- don’t you think?
It’s a savory pie that’s eaten warm from the oven or room temperature. It’s the perfect appetizer for your St. Patricks Day celebration 🙂
- 1 16oz package filo pastry sheets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 5 scallions- using green and white parts thinly sliced
- 2 pounds spinach thinly sliced
- 1/2 C feta cheese
- 1/2 C ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs with 2 tablespoon water; beaten
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high add scallions and garlic, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach, stir, cook 2 minutes more to wilt, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine feta and ricotta cheese; stir.
- Unroll the filo dough on a flat surface and keep it covered with waxed paper and a damp towel so it doesn't dry out and become brittle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the filo into 3 by 11 inch strips, and recover with the towel.
- Use a pastry brush to brush a strip of filo with egg wash.
- Place a teaspoonful of both spinach filling and cheese fillings 1 inch from the end of the pastry.
- Fold the end over the filling to form a triangle, then continue to fold up the strip in triangles, like folding up a flag.
- Egg wash outside of triangle.
- Continue with remaining strips of dough, place filled triangles on the baking sheet.
- Keep them covered with a wet towel until ready to bake.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot or room temperature.
Have so much fun making these delightful little savory hand pies with your family this year for St. Patties Day!
Happy Tuesday 🙂
Much Love and Peace~