Our Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe is a slow cooker recipe that’s been one of our go-to recipes for years! We know you’ll adore it just as much as we do. Today’s slow cooker mediterranean chicken recipe has chicken, dry Italian seasoning packets, neufatchel cream cheese then topped with feta cheese, artichoke hearts, and greek olives.
Fit Friday never gets old! Fit tips + healthy recipes = greatness. Thanks to Nichole from Pure Clean Coaching! More Fit Friday posts CLICK HERE!
Why we love Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe
We all love our slow cookers for a variety of reasons–I love that I start it in the morning and forget about it! When it’s time for dinner it’s just a couple of quick steps it’s ready to serve.
Our slow cooker Mediterranean Chicken is served with brown rice to gain a higher nutrition value plus I love the nutty flavor!
Ingredients in Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe
- Chicken- has a very high protein content, which plays a very important role in sustaining our muscles. Rich in calcium and phosphorous for healthy bones. Stress reliever with tryptophane and vitamin B5. Immunity booster too!
- Brown Rice- can serve as a good source of B vitamins (thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin) and iron. Rice is also an excellent source of manganese and magnesium. Brown rice provides more vitamins than white rice.
- Cream Cheese- Cream cheese is high in fat and contains a small amount of carbs and protein. It’s a good source of vitamin A and contributes some riboflavin (vitamin B2). Whipped cream cheese contains less fat and fewer calories per serving. Cream cheese is high in fat and a good source of vitamin A and riboflavin. Enjoy in moderation.
- Feta Cheese- Feta is a brined, white cheese with a soft and creamy texture. Compared to other cheeses, it’s low in calories and fat. It also contains a high amount of B vitamins, phosphorus and calcium, which can benefit bone health. Additionally, feta contains beneficial bacteria and fatty acids.
- Artichokes- are low in fat, high in fiber, and loaded with vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, phosphorus, and magnesium. They are also one of the richest sources of antioxidants.
- Kalamata Olives- good source of fibre, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E and vitamin K. They also provide some magnesium, phosphorous and potassium per serving as well as B vitamins.
Fit Friday with Miss Nichole
We made it through another month and not just any month, January. This winter I am striving to embrace the cold and enjoy the beauty of winter. I have strapped spikes onto my shoes and ventured out on trails. I have layered up and headed out the door with a very excited Joey.
Instead of focusing on what I was missing out on because of the cold and snow I have tried to focus on the fun of new adventures. What new adventures have you sought out this month?
Over the years I have found that a healthy me allows for more adventures, more fun, more “yeses” in my life. As I continue to map out and prep for this year’s adventures I am really recognizing the importance of winter prep. All of this leads us to this week’s workout, a core workout to strengthen that power house for everything you do.
I love to throw in a core workout before or after an easy run. As always, focus on quality and form!
Slow Cooker Tips & Tricks
Let’s just have a little talk about our slow cookers here for a minute. . .
As most of you know I’m a graduate of the Culinary School and one of the classes that’s required is Sanitation and Safety. During this class we had an eye-opening chat about slow cookers and how they can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and pathogens.
- If not careful they can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and pathogens.
- Preheat your crock pot just like you preheat your oven so plug it in and turn it to the high setting to get it nice and hot from the start for cooking. After all there is only one little probe heating the whole slow cooker!
- Add everything into the crock pot as warmed up as it can be, to cut down on the getting-the-food-hot portion of cooking, this is where you need to be cautious and make sure it is all hot and up to cooking temperature in 2-3 hours.
- If food stays between 41 degrees and 135 degrees for 4 hours, then it has to be thrown out because the bacteria and pathogens have had much too much time to grow and a food borne illness is a likely result.
- If you add meat; be sure it is thawed and NEVER added frozen, if it’s beef or pork brown it first.
- Add liquids hot ie: like use HOT water or warm up any liquids in the microwave first then add them in already hot.
- Spray the ceramic insert with cooking spray to make clean up a snap! It’ll wipe out with no sticking!
Slow Cookers are wonderful things and if we take a couple of quick precautions to keep food safe while using them… they are even better! 🙂
Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe
Our Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe is a slow cooker recipe that's been one of our go-to recipes for years!
- 6 chicken breasts, thawed
- 2 packets of dry Italian salad dressing seasoning packets
- ½ cup water
- 1 8 ounce neufatchel (1/3 less fat) cream cheese
- 6 servings brown rice, cooked according to package
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 cup greek olives
- 6 servings brown rice, prepared according to directions
- Place chicken, dry italian seasoning packets, and water in slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the neufatchel cream cheese into slow cooker; allow to melt in while preparing brown rice.
- Stir in cream cheese until completely coats chicken.
- Serve over brown rice and top with feta, artichoke hearts, and greek olives.
- Enjoy your Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 811mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 55g
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Coca-Cola BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
- Italian Chicken Recipe
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
Add our Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice Recipe to next weeks menu!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. If you get a chance to make our recipes then leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie, pin us on Pinterest, or follow along with us on Facebook so we can share in the joy of cooking with you! Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you!! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends! Our hearts sing when you do. We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here.
Cooking with Ruthie on Instagram
Cooking with Ruthie on Pinterest
Cooking with Ruthie on Facebook
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Nichole, Ruthie, & Madeliene
Leave a Reply