Fit Friday is here…
I love to have Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness comes to hang out with us on Fridays! This week Nichole has awesome Kettlebells Training Tips … a Healthy Recipe from me + Fitness Tips from Nichole= a healthy, happy, balanced life!
Nichole’s Kettlebells Training Tips…
Every gym seems to offer new toys these days. The standard dumbbells and barbells are still there but now kettlebells, various types of weighted balls, and more are becoming part of the norm for the gym crowd. Over the next few weeks I wanted to add workouts with these various toys to our arsenal. Today we are going to use the kettlebells.
Why use the kettlebell? Many of the exercises that we are going to talk about can be done with dumbbells, so why even bother with the kettlebell? The main reason comes down to the shape of the kettlebell. It is obviously not built like a dumbbell, therefore your body has to make minor adjustments in the grip, the way you stabilize, and the muscles engaged. Just remember, even minor changes in your workout can lead to big changes in your body because your body has to adjust to those minor changes.
Today’s workout is a full body, all done with the kettlebell.
25 Sumo Squats with Upright Row
20 Dead Lifts
15 Kettle Bell Swings
10 Single Arm Rows (each arm)
5 Single Arm Snatches (each arm)
Rpt for a total of 20 minutes. This means you need to limit your rest in between exercises and make the most of your 20 minutes. Throw in some awesome core, pylos, or cardio in with this for a solid 45 min workout if you have the time.
Work hard and earn your rewards!
Ruthie’s Healthy Recipe…
Chicken Sausage with Red Sauce and Penne Pasta is healthy savory Italian whole grain pasta dish!
I love Italian cooking… every single part of it! I’ve found I can enjoy all the fabulous flavors but in healthier way by using whole grains, chicken sausage instead of pork, and olive oil. If you haven’t switched over to whole grain pasta yet, you’ve got to give them a try! I love they way they taste with a slightly nuttier flavor and a bit more of bite to it. Whole grain pasta takes just a little bit longer to cook but other than that your family will never know the difference.
Using chicken or turkey sausage is another great way to save yourself some calories because either of them are a leaner form of protein. Whenever I do a cooking demo using the Italian turkey or chicken sausage people are blown away at how fabulous it tastes. One time, I had a cute older lady pull me aside afterwards and tell me how surprised she was that it tasted the same and that she could prepare it for her husband without him even knowing! Hahah. It made me laugh 🙂
It’s really that good.
- 4 Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 2-3 tablespoons dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces whole grain penne pasta
- 2 ounces mizthra or parmesan cheese, to garnish
- coarse sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to serve
- In a large skillet over medium high heat , add 1 tablespoon olive oil, allow to heat 1 minute.
- Place sausage in skillet and cook 2-3 minutes or until nicely browned, turn and repeat.
- Remove from pan; set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan.
- Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Deglaze pan by adding white wine or chicken stock; stirring and scraping up bits from bottom of pan.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper; stir to incorporate.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook 10-12 minutes until center of sausage reaches 165 degrees temperature.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, drain and hold.
- (rinse in hot water to reheat and loosen if necessary)
- Divide penne between serving plates, top with red sauce and a chicken sausage sliced on the diagonal.
- Sprinkle with mizithra cheese, sea salt, and fresh cracked pepper to serve.
Love yourself some Chicken Sausage with Red Sauce and Penne Pasta with your family this weekend!
Happy Fit Friday!
Much Love and Peace~
Nicole and Ruthie