Hearty Ratatouille with Penne Pasta is the best way to enjoy all the garden fresh vegetables available this time of year!
We’re serving up a hearty dose of LOVE around here today. . . it’s been 7 years since our ‘Cooking with Ruthie’ journey began in this big ole’ internet world! Madeliene and I just want to say how much we love it and how grateful we are to have you apart of our ‘Cooking with Ruthie’ family. We adore your kind comments, little notes on fixing typos (thank you for keeping us in line!), and making this space a place to share recipes, projects, our family, AND the best part is connecting with each one of you!
SOoooo, lots of love from both of us and thank you so much for being here and hangin’ out in our kitchen. . . here’s to 7 years with many, many, many more to come! 🙂
Since we’re talkin’ about love… we are super in-love with all the fresh produce bursting on the scene everywhere… backyard gardens, farmers markets, and produce stands! It’s pretty hard to beat fresh-from-the-vine veggies! Naturally, we had to share our family favorite recipe, Hearty Ratatouille with Penne Pasta, which is begging for you to make this week.
Have even more foodie fun by making dinner into a family movie night. . . watch the infamous Disney’s Ratatouille movie while you enjoy eating some Hearty Ratatouille with Penne Pasta! Of course, movie night just isn’t movie night without treats!! Bake up some of our Nutella White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, Cinnamon-Sugar Cupitas & Ice Cream Bar, or Peach Tart with Sweet Peach Glaze!
We love y’all and we know you’ll love this Hearty Ratatouille with Penne Pasta recipe just as much as we do!
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
Ruthie & Madeliene
Hearty Ratatouille with Penne Pasta
- ¼ extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion small diced
- 5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 whole red or green pepper medium diced
- ½ eggplant medium diced skin on (approx 2 cups)
- 2 petite zucchini medium diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup ripe tomatoes medium diced
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil thinly sliced
- In a medium sized heavy skillet on medium heat, add half of the oil to the pan.
- Once hot add onions and cook about 4-5 minutes or until caramelized.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring until golden brown and caramelized.
- Add chopped peppers, eggplant, and zucchini; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add all but 1 tablespoon of basil; stir well.
- Add cayenne or tabasco, if desired.
- Cook 10 minutes over medium high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook 15-20 minutes over medium heat, or until the consistency you like.
- Add last tablespoon basil; stir well.
- Serve over warm pasta and garnish with basil leaves.