I’m so happy to have Jen from Bakerette here with us today! She always has deliciously amazing recipes to share with us and today is no different- I won’t keep you waiting any longer…
Hi, it’s Jen from Bakerette
It’s so good to be back again to share with you another fantastic and easy recipe:
Mexican Potato Soup.
This isn’t your ordinary potato soup recipe. Steak and potatoes bring this combo to the table in a whole new way. After all, how can you go wrong with cheese and potatoes? Add Mexican spices into the recipe and you get a killer meal. And if desired, throw in some carne asada and you’ve got a dish made in heaven.
The spices really make this recipe, like cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Instead of the normal Cheddar cheese, use pepper jack for a spicy flare.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
- 12 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and cayenne and saute until onions are transparent. Whisk in flour and cook for one minute.
- Whisk in broth and potatoes and turn heat up to medium high and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until they are fork-tender (about 15 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and with a potato masher, mash potatoes in the pot to desired consistency. Stir in evaporated milk and cheese until cheese is melted.
- Remove pot from stove and stir in sour cream, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
*Recipe adapted from Cuisine Magazine, Splendid Soups & Super Sides, Winter 2013, p43
If you liked this recipe, you might also like these other recipes at Bakerette. Just click on the picture for the recipe:
Enjoy! Thank you Ruthie for letting me play in your space today!
Have a wonderful week!
Doesn’t Jen’s Mexican Potato Soup look AMAZING! My, my I can’t wait to give it a try 🙂
Have been over to visit Jen? Please do- she always has delicious recipes going on!
xoxo~ Jen and Ruthie
- Coconut Mango Sweet Rice Recipe
- Easy Lemon Sorbet Recipe
- Pecan Pie Cookies Recipe
- Starbucks Chocolate Smoothie Recipe
- Starbucks Orange Mango Smoothie Recipe
- Cranberry Pomegranate Cocktail Recipe
- Avocado, Hummus, & Feta Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Blueberry, Banana, Strawberry Protein Smoothie Recipe
- Almond Butter Banana Oat Smoothie Recipe
- Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 4th of July Pudding Pops
- Disney Caramel Apple Pie Recipe