I’m excited to share this quick and easy Lasagna Soup recipe with all of you! It’s become a favorite of ours over the years. . . we keep coming back to again and a again!
It’s just perfect for those really busy days when you’ve only got 30 minutes to get dinner on the tables too. We all love to sit down to a lovely bowl of warm and cozy soup in the wintertime, you’ll be in heaven with our Lasagna Soup. 🙂
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage
- 3 cups onions medium diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons italian tomato paste
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 1/2 cups chicken stock or 7 1/2 cups water+ 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 ounce package whole grain extra wide egg noodles
- 1/2-3/4 cup fresh basil leaves chiffonade (thinly sliced)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cheesy Mixture:
- 1 C low fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 C shredded parmesan
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Soup Base:
- Coat a large stock pot over medium heat; add olive oil and bring almost to smoke point.
- Add add onions; saute 2-3 minutes until caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, deglaze pan with 1/4 cup chicken stock.
- Add sausage; stirring to break up and cook 5-6 minutes until sausage is cooked and onions are transparent.
- Add oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste; stir well.
- Continue cooking 3-4 minutes until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock; stir and bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente.
- Do not over cook soup at this point.
- If you expect leftovers cook the noodles separate and add noodles to each bowl and then ladle broth on top. (the noodles will soak up the broth when stored.)
- Right before serving add fresh basil, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
- Finish with a dollop of the cheese mixture.
- Cheese Mixture:
- In a small mixing bowl combine all ingredients.
- Keep refrigerated until serving.
- Add a tablespoon on top of each bowl of Lasagna Soup.
I’m sure you’ll all love this Lasagna Soup as much as we did!
I love it when dinner only dirties 1 pot… which means extra fast clean up and that’s a BIG plus for me!
Here are a few other of WCw/R’s fall recipes , they’re all just plain delicious:
Happy Thursday and Happy Cooking!