One of my FAVORITE food as a kid (besides cereal) was Mac and Cheese so when I ran across this Mac and Cheese Soup in the Food Network Magazine at the orthodontists office the other day, I totally had to giver a try!!
My son just got braces so I’m going to have a lot of magazine time in my future : ) My whole family liked this soup, it’s definitely a lot healthier than other mac and cheese recipes I’ve seen… I like using whole grain noodles, I love the veggies hidden in there, HEY, and no additional oil or butter for the rue, too : D
*this recipe was adapted from Food Network Magazine, Jan/Feb 2011
Mac and Cheese Soup definitely has a more grown up taste than the boxed variety (which I truly can’t stand anymore at all)!! You’ll love this healthier version that’ll remind you a bit of childhood.
- Sea Salt
- 8 oz whole grain elbow noodles, 2 cups
- Cooking spray
- 8 plum tomatoes, halved
- 8 baguette slice, 1/2 inch thick
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 green onions
- 2 carrots, cut into 2"chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2" chunks
- 1/2 C flour
- 7 1/2 C fat free chicken broth or 7 1/2 C water and 4tsp chicken soup base
- 2 1/2 C 1% milk
- 3 C shredded cheese
- 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees. Bring a medium sauce pan of salted water to boil. Add the macaroni and cook as the label directs; drain.
- Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange baguette slices and tomatoes halves in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until bread is browned approx 7 minutes.
- Mince the vegetables in a food processor. Mist a stock pot with cooking spray. Add the veggies and cook over medium high heat until softened, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the flour and cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Gradually add the chicken broth, bringing to a boil; cook, stirring, until thickened, 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the milk, cheeses, and macaroni, stir until the cheeses melt. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with toasts and tomatoes, serve on soup.