Happy Fit Friday!!
Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness and I love bringing Fit Friday to you each week- get the best of both of talents with healthy recipes and awesome workout tips! YAY.
Nichole’s taking us to the weight room today…
Let’s start by simply defining circuit training: Circuit training is a form of body conditioning or resistance training using high-intensity aerobics. It targets strength building and muscular endurance. In other words, it is cardio and resistance/weight training thrown together for a sweaty good time.
Now for Ruthie’s delicioso soup…
Italian Tortellini Soup will keep you comfy cozy during the colder months that are headed our way.. it’s a must-have when the temperatures start dropping!
I love this soup! It’s made with Italian turkey sausage so it’s low in fat than other Italian sausages plus this soup has zucchini, carrots, onions, peppers, in a tomato soup base and layered with herbs. The finishing touch is the fresh cheese tortellini’s~ which are simply the perfect way to top it off!
I use red wine to deglaze the pan… you can deglaze a pan with any liquid actually- even water but a vegetable or chicken would add more flavor. I like using the red wine, it adds amazing depth to the flavor also the majority of the alcohol is cooked off.
What does it mean to deglaze a pan? In this recipe we heat the olive oil and then add in the onions to caramelize, adding the garlic at the end so that it won’t burn. Once we have a nice carmel color on the onions and garlic then add the red wine, using a wooden spoon scrape all the bits and pieces off the bottom of the pan (called the fond) to bring all of that delicious flavor into the soup.
Italian Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine cabernet sauvignon
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2-1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp agave or sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves minced
- 8 to 10 ounces purchased fresh vegetable tortellini
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat olive oil in stock pot, add onion and sauté until translucent and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic the last minute so can cook without burning.
- Add 1/4 cup red wine and deglaze pot (scrap up bits of flavor from bottom of pan while simmering wine).
- Sauté Italian sausage in stock pot over medium-high heat until cooked through, crumbling with back of spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Add stock, tomato paste, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, wine, remaining red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, agave, basil and oregano.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
- (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
- Cook tortellini in separate pot.
- Add to soup.
- Add fresh herbs.
- Season soup to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and Serve.
I know you’ll love my Italian Tortellini Soup it’s a healthier soup that tastes like all the calories are right in there.
Much Love and Peace~
Nichole and Ruthie