Mint Julep Recipe is an American classic cocktail that is sure to keep you refreshed this summer! The mint julep cocktail has been a favorite at the Kentucky Derby since 1938. Mint Julep’s were born in the southern states and date back to the colonial days- they enjoyed it as a stiff drink to cool off with during the immense heat of the southern summers. It’s very simple to make with sugar, mint leaves, bourbon, and crushed ice as the main ingredients. Our Mint Julep Recipe will keep you cooled off at your BBQ’S and gatherings this summer!
A glance at the history of the Mint Julep
The mint julep originated in the southern United States, probably during the eighteenth century. U.S. Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky introduced the drink to Washington, D.C., at the Round Robin Bar in the famous Willard Hotel during his residence in the city. It has largely been associated with Kentucky—both its bourbon and its derby—since 1938 when it became the official drink of Louisville’s famed Churchill Downs. But the story of the tipple of choice for the most exciting two minutes in sports has an enigmatic and checkered past dating back to the pre-emancipation Colonial South. The stiff mint julep was a favorite during the heat of the summers of the south.
The bequeathing of the mint julep as the official drink of Churchill Downs in 1938 cashed in on this newfound nostalgia for the Old South. But the racial stereotypes depicted in these ad campaigns would erase any memory of the esteemed black bartenders who advanced the cause of the julep in cities around the country in the 19th century. “The mint julep got swept up into the Old South magnolia mythic imagery of Gone with the Wind and everything else,” Moss says. Read more HERE
Tips & Tricks for selecting celebration beverages for crowd
Picking beverages for your gathering can be fun but daunting at times! I like to have a selection of red and white wines, some sparkling water with lemon or limes, and a festive mixed beverage as an option too. If younger children are going to be apart of the event then I’ll make sure to have some juice or soda on hand and it’s always a good idea to have some permanent markers handy for everyone to mark their glasses. . . it washes right off with hot water and soap! Here are a few more beverages to inspire you:
- Cherry Prosecco Spritzer
- Non-Boozy Mint Mojito
- Irish Creme de Menthe Cocktail
- Blueberry Lime Cocktails
- Non-boozy Blueberry Mint Mojito
- Strawberry Mint Margaritas
- Irish Coffee with Baileys and Kahlua
- Orange Spice Wassail
Along with our Mint Julep’s you may also enjoy some of these other southern inspired recipes!
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Southern Black Beans and Rice Recipe
- Creamed Peas and New Potatoes
- Panfried Catfish with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Southwest Chicken Chowder
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Essence Creole Seasoning
- Brisket with Rosemary Potato Hash
- Chicken Enchilada Cornbread Pie
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Southwest Chicken and Rice
- Jalapeno Honey Cornbread
- Gateau de Sirop
Mint Julep Recipe is a lovely beverage for your summer soiree!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. . . if you get a chance to make our recipes then leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie , pin us on Pinterest , or follow along with us on Facebook so we can share in the joy of cooking with you! Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: [email protected] We’re excited to see you again soon!
One more thing before you go. . .
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you!! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends! Our hearts sing when you do. . . we SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here.
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
- 10 fresh mint leaves, plus more to garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- 2 ounces good-quality bourbon
- * optional: sparkling soda to add carbonation and lighten the cocktail
- ice cubes, preferably crushed
- Place mint leaves and sugar in bottom of the julep tin or glassware, muddle by gently pressing to release the mint oils.
- Pack the glass with ice (preferably crushed).
- Pour bourbon over ice and add more ice to fill the glass.
- Add sparkling water filling to the rim of the glass, if desired.
- Add more mint leaves to garnish.
- Enjoy our Mint Julep Recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 48mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 8gSugar: 72gProtein: 4g