Blueberry Mint Julep Recipe is always a good choice for hot summer days! Our neck of the woods is gonna get hot, hot, hot this weekend, don’t worry, we won’t let that heat get to you! The classic mint julep is getting a fresh new twist with blueberries and squeeze of fresh lemon! It will keep you cool and happy no matter what kind of weather Mother Nature decides to serve us! 🙂
We are hangin’ out with Miss Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness! She’s been with us on Friday’s for over 5 years now and we love her! Thanks to Nichole, for coming every week and sharing your awesome fitness knowledge with us! If you want check out more of our Fit Friday posts then CLICK HERE!
A glance at the history of the Mint Julep
The mint julep originated in the southern United States, probably during the eighteenth century. U.S. Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky introduced the drink to Washington, D.C., at the Round Robin Bar in the famous Willard Hotel during his residence in the city. It has largely been associated with Kentucky—both its bourbon and its derby—since 1938 when it became the official drink of Louisville’s famed Churchill Downs. But the story of the tipple of choice for the most exciting two minutes in sports has an enigmatic and checkered past dating back to the pre-emancipation Colonial South. The stiff mint julep was a favorite during the heat of the summers of the south.
Along with our Blueberry Mint Julep’s you may also enjoy some of these other southern inspired recipes
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice
- Southern Black Beans and Rice Recipe
- Mint Julep Recipe
- Creamed Peas and New Potatoes
- Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Rice
- Panfried Catfish with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Southwest Chicken Chowder
- White Texas Sheet Cake
- Essence Creole Seasoning
- Brisket with Rosemary Potato Hash
- Chicken Enchilada Cornbread Pie
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Southwest Chicken and Rice
- Jalapeno Honey Cornbread
- Gateau de Sirop
- Grilled Southern Pork Loin Recipe
Miss Nichole’s up next with this weeks Fit Friday!!
Our neighborhood pool opened this last weekend and my kids have been ecstatic to be back in the water and enjoying these summer days. Feeling the fresh air and sunshine has gotten me a little eager to get back in the water and swimming. Our pool opens at 5am and is pretty kid free until after 10am, which means if I can sneak out around 6 or 7 the pool is perfect.
It has been a while, last summer I never even really got in the water because I seemed to always be cold as an aftermath of chemo. Which means, I am starting with the basics. Excitedly!
- 10 fresh mint leaves, plus more to garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- 2 ounces good-quality bourbon
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- * optional: sparkling soda to add carbonation and lighten the cocktail
- ice cubes, preferably crushed
- Place mint leaves and sugar in bottom of the julep tin or glassware, muddle by gently pressing to release the mint oils.
- Add squeeze of lemon juice.
- Pack the glass with ice and frozen blueberries (preferably crushed ice).
- Pour bourbon over ice and add more ice to fill the glass.
- Add sparkling water filling to the rim of the glass, if desired.
- Add more mint leaves to garnish.
- Enjoy our Blueberry Mint Julep Recipe!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 624Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 50mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 9gSugar: 76gProtein: 4g
Relax and refresh this weekend with our Blueberry Mint Julep Recipe!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. If you get a chance to make our recipes then leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie, pin us on Pinterest, or follow along with us on Facebook so we can share in the joy of cooking with you! Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you!! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends! Our hearts sing when you do. We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here.
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Nichole, Ruthie, & Madeliene