Our Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe is a tried and true favorite at our dining room table! I think we all agree that slow cookers or crock pot recipes are pretty fabulous. . . just start it in the morning and let it do it’s magical thing all day long. When it’s time for dinner the beef is tender and flavorful having simmered all day in a broth of rosemary, garlic, thyme, peppercorns, a bay leaf, and some soy sauce. Then serve up your Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich on rolls or sliced artisan bread along with some of broth for dipping! I promise your family will LOVE it as much as ours does. 🙂
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe
So, I just happen to consider myself a French Dip Sandwich Connoisseur, of sorts. The French Dip Sandwich had been a favorite of mine for most of my life. My Grandma Bolinske introduced me to this classic sandwich early in life and I loved it so much! It’s the only item I’d order at restaurants for the longest time. If it was on the menu then I had to have it but then I found this recipe 10 years ago and now I only eat them at home! Our Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe is SO much better than any I’ve had at a restaurant!
History of The French Dip Sandwich
Two restaurants in Los Angeles who both claim to be the inventors. The first, and most widely accepted as the originator, is Philippe’s The Original. According to their story, in 1918 owner Philippe Mathieu was making a sandwich for a police officer and accidentally dropped the roll in a pan filled with the roasting juices. The officer didn’t care and told Philippe that he’d take the sandwich just like that. The next day the officer returned with his friends and asked for more dipped sandwiches. There is further uncertainty about why the dish is called the French dip. It could be due to Philippe’s heritage, the French roll it is served on, or because the police officer’s name was French.
The second restaurant that claims to have invented the French dip is Cole’s, also known as Cole’s Pacific Electric Buffet. Cole’s is the oldest continuously operating bar and restaurant in Los Angeles. According to them, the sandwich was first made when a customer who had recently had dental work complained that the bread was too hard for him to eat. So owner Henry Cole dipped the bread in the juices from the roasting pan in order to make it softer.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe on FOX13 The Place
Slow Cooker Tips & Tricks
Let’s just have a little talk about our slow cookers here for a minute. . .
As most of you know I’m a graduate of the Culinary School and one of the classes that’s required is Sanitation and Safety. During this class we had an eye-opening chat about slow cookers and how they can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and pathogens.
- If not careful they can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and pathogens.
- Preheat your crock pot just like you preheat your oven so plug it in and turn it to the high setting to get it nice and hot from the start for cooking. After all there is only one little probe heating the whole slow cooker!
- Add everything into the crock pot as warmed up as it can be, to cut down on the getting-the-food-hot portion of cooking, this is where you need to be cautious and make sure it is all hot and up to cooking temperature in 2-3 hours.
- If food stays between 41 degrees and 135 degrees for 4 hours, then it has to be thrown out because the bacteria and pathogens have had much too much time to grow and a food borne illness is a likely result.
- If you add meat; be sure it is thawed and NEVER added frozen, if it’s beef or pork brown it first.
- Add liquids hot ie: like use HOT water or warm up any liquids in the microwave first then add them in already hot.
- Spray the ceramic insert with cooking spray to make clean up a snap! It’ll wipe out with no sticking!
Slow Cookers are wonderful things and if we take a couple of quick precautions to keep food safe while using them… they are even better! 🙂
More slow cooker recipes you may also enjoy!
- Coca-Cola BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich
- White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Chicken
- Mediterranean Chicken with Brown Rice
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork (copycat)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 566mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 22g
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich is hands down the BEST recipe I have ever made at home. (and trust me I’ve tried plenty!)
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. If you get a chance to make our recipes then leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie, pin us on Pinterest, or follow along with us on Facebook so we can share in the joy of cooking with you! Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: email@example.com. We’re excited to see you again soon!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you!! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends! Our hearts sing when you do. We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here.
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene