Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 rump roast, approx 3lbs
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb carrots, scrubbed and cut into 2 inch diagonal chunks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 10-12 new red potatoes
- 3 cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 C beef broth or 1 C water and 1 beef bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- parsley to garnish
- In a large frying pan heat oil over medium high.
- Salt and pepper all sides of roast, add beef to frying pan and cook 10-12 minutes rotating to brown evenly.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- To the same skillet add onion, garlic, and thyme.
- Cook 2 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Add beef broth, cook 3 minutes making sure to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour over roast in slow cooker.
- Add bay leaf.
- Layer carrots and onions around roast.
- Cover, cook on high for 5 hours and low on 10 hours.
- Slice meat, place on serving platter, drizzle with dripping.
- Place carrots and potatoes around beef and serve!
- If you'd like to make some gravy with the drippings... here's what I do.
- Place the drippings in a sauce pan.
- Skim off fat with a spoon.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add 1 C water and 2 beef bouillon.
- Add 1 tsp garlic and onion salt.
- In a 1 C measuring cup filled half way with cold water add to 2 Tbsp cornstarch; mix with a fork.
- Slowly whisk into boiling beef broth and cook until thickens.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast is a recipe I love to make for Sunday Dinner, it’s so nice to throw it in the slow cooker Sunday morning and then forget about it all day long 🙂
I hope you all have really fun weekend plans and have a easy going Friday to start it off!