Pizza Margherita is an Italian Classic that combines fresh ingredients with a whole wheat pizza crust- it’s a hard one to beat in the summer when all of the ingredients are at their peak and fresh off the vine!
Not to mention that I am a little over-the-top when it comes to fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil! Oh my. I adore them 🙂
Do you remember my Bruschetta and Taleggio Cheese with Crostini, Caprese Grilled Cheese, Pink Door Bruschetta, Stacked Caprese Salad, Grilled Zucchini Bruschetta, Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad, Tomato Basil Naan Bread Pizza, Heirloom Tomato Caprese Kabobs….. OKAY! Enough already~ there really are more recipes, just incase you want to check everyone single one of them out 🙂
You get the idea of the depth of this adoration (or obsession) of mine goes… it might be bordering on the line of addiction. So, it sure is a good thing there’s so many wonderfully healthy benefits to it.
- 1 16oz whole wheat pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Evenly spread pizza dough onto 12 inch pizza pan.
- Evenly spread pizza sauce over dough.
- Evenly distribute tomatoes, mozzarella, and red onion over pizza.
- Evenly sprinkle basil leaves over all of toppings.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Add additional basil leaves, if desired.
- Slice and Enjoy!
I know you may not be quite as obsessed as I am but I swear you that you’ll totally love this Pizza Margherita just as much as I do!
I hope you had a really nice weekend- I had dinner with my parents and friends, then worked in the yard, cleaned the house, and took the dogs for a couple of hikes… all in all it was just dandy. Hope yours was just as enjoyable!
Much Love and Peace~