Caprese Grilled Cheese is the delicious caprese flavors wrapped up in a grilled cheese sandwich! YUM!!
One of my very favorite flavor combinations is what’s commonly known as “Caprese”- Tomato, Fresh Basil leaves, Fresh Mozzarella are just heaven to my taste buds so I figured I’d give these flavors a try in a grilled cheese sandwich! After all it is National Grilled Cheese Month 🙂
It’s funny that I couldn’t even stand a tomato when I was a kid… they completely grossed me out! Luckily our taste buds change every 7 years and as my palate matured I came into my love of a good tomato! I’ll still pass on an over ripe, mealy, flavorless tomato but a garden fresh, mouth watering, and especially heirloom varieties just melt my heart! Then add some fresh basil and mozzarella- divine 🙂
I added Havarti Cheese by Arla to our Caprese Grilled Cheese sandwiches cuz they just needed that extra gooey-ness that a piece of melted havarti gives a grilled cheese sandwich. I love to buy the big pack at Costco because we use it every day on sandwiches for lunches! I love all the Arla cheese varieties… keep an eye out for them at your local grocery store!
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 slices Harvarti cheese, I like arla brand
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella
- 4 1/4 inch slices tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a small saute pan, over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add red pepper and saute with onions for an additional minute.
- Set aside.
- Coat flat skillet or large fry pan with cooking spray and warm over medium low heat.
- Divide butter and evenly spread over one side of each piece of bread.
- Place 2 pieces of butter side down onto warmed skillet, next layer a piece cheese on each, evenly divide tomatoes over each sandwich, sprinkle with sea salt.
- Next evenly divide a single layer of basil leaves over tomatoes.
- Then top each sandwich with 3 pieces of fresh mozzarella.
- Top each sandwich with remaining slices of bread- with the butter side up.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until bottom side is golden brown and then turn sandwich over and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Once sandwich is golden brown and cheese is melted, Enjoy!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich will rock your world. I gave a friend of mine of one these sandwiches- it was even a day old, actually and he was in heaven. I told him to imagine it fresh! Y’all will not be disappointed with the delicious lunch or even dinner sandwich… it’s really very filling and even more delightful that I can do it justice in my ramblings right now 🙂
Oh AND have you tried the sweet potato chips in my photo’s? Oh wow. You’ve got to try some… I like the Trader Joe’s brand, naturally 🙂 They also have sweet potato
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich is the best way to celebrate April and National Grilled Cheese Month!
I hope your Tuesday is beautiful or at least you can find something beautiful in it!
Much Love and Peace~