I love to cook and bake so, I’ve been spreading a little bit of love around with these adorable Valentine Sugar Cookies Recipe! Cooking is an expression of love for me. It’s the way I say, “I love you” to the people in my life. I don’t know many people that won’t get all kinds of happy when you share a homemade sugar cookie with them! OMG. It’s such a sweet treat. Home baked sugar cookies are beautiful especially when they’re decorated with our homemade buttercream frosting. Don’t they look all fancy with our secret marble effect AND don’t worry it’s so simple to do frosting this way. Bake to your hearts content this valentines day with our perfect sugar cookie recipe!
Share the love with our Valentine Sugar Cookies Recipe!
You’ll love this recipe. It’s the perfect balance between soft and chewy AND of course, they’ll bring a smile to all your sweeties too! Healthy and balanced meals for my family because I love and care about them. Having a hard day?… a plate of cookies will surely make it all better! (my friends secretly love to hate this about me.)
Ingredients for our Valentine Sugar Cookies Recipe
- All–purpose flour- is a general use white flour. It is not a whole flour, and only the starchy endosperm is used, without the germ and bran portion of the kernel. It is a blend of hard and soft flours or hard flours with a protein content (gluten) of about 9 to 12 percent.
- Granulated Sugar- Granulated sugar is also sometimes known as white sugar, or “regular” sugar. Granulated sugar has had all of the naturally present molasses refined out of it. The fine crystals in granulated sugar don’t cake together, which makes it perfect for measuring, sprinkling onto food and dissolving into drinks.
- Butter- I can’t emphasize enough the importance of bringing your butter and eggs to room temperature. It’s the foundation of building a creamy, smooth dough. If I have enough time before baking I will set butter out on the counter to reach room temperature. If I’m running tight on time then I will place my butter in the microwave for 5-10 seconds but BE CAREFUL not to melt it. . . at all! It’s better for the butter to be a little stiff then even a tiny bit melted. The friction of the beaters as it mixes will warm it the rest of the way; just cream/mix it a little longer, if needed, to get that creamy-smooth and fluffy consistency we are looking for.
- Eggs- I place my eggs in a small bowl of very warm water while I’m gathering all the other ingredients and prepping to bake then when I’m ready to add them into the batter they have reached the perfect temperature! Add your eggs one at a time and cream for 2 minutes, then scape the bowl down using a rubber spatula, and add the next egg. This is the best way to be sure the eggs are incorporated evenly into the batter. Beating each egg individually is essential because eggs act as a leavener which brings the loft (height) into your baked goods.
A few helpful tips for baking at higher elevations:
- If you live 3,000 feet above sea level or more it is considered high elevation and may take longer to cook/bake.
- Adjustments are needed for 5000+ feet and above:
- Reduce baking powder: for each teaspoon, decrease 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Reduce sugar: for each cup, decrease 2 tablespoons.
- Increase liquid: for each cup, add 2 to 4 tablespoons.
- Increase oven temperature by 25 degrees F.
- Check if it is done a little early.
- This takes some trial and error to get it right for you.
Learn more HERE
We hope you enjoy our Valentine Sugar Cookies Recipe and some of these too!
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup low fat or regular sour cream, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoon milk or cream
- red food coloring
- Wilton 1M open star tip
- large piping bag
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Line half sheet pan with parchment paper or silpat.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt; mix to combine; set aside.
- In another bowl cream butter, add sugar, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl with each addition.
- Add vanilla and sour cream; mix in.
- Add dry ingredients all at once; mix just until combined.
- Divide dough in half, place on a large piece of saran wrap, shape into a large, flat rectangle, wrap in saran, refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours.
- Lightly flour counter top, roll dough out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with heart cookie cutters.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet, bake 5-6 minutes until bottom is golden.
- Cool on rack.
- Cream butter, add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing each addition until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and milk alternating with powdered sugar.
- Divide frosting in half and place in separate bowls.
- Add 3 drops red food coloring to one half, mix throughly.
- Frost entire top of cookies with white or pink frosting.
- Place white frosting to one side of pastry bag and pink on the other.
- (I'm not particular about it- it will look marbles once it is piped)
- Decorate cookies edge and finish with sprinkles.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 0gSugar: 53gProtein: 2g
We hope you have fun baking up some lovin’ from your kitchen with these beautiful Valentines Sugar Cookies Recipe!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. If you get a chance to make our recipes then leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie, pin us on Pinterest, or follow along with us on Facebook so we can share in the joy of cooking with you! Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: email@example.com. We’re excited to see you again soon!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you!! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends! Our hearts sing when you do. We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here.
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene