Browned Butter Broccoli and Mizithra Cheese Recipe is one of our families long-time favorite recipes! It’s SO good!! If you’ve eaten the Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe and loved like we did, then you won’t be surprised at all to hear that I had to run right home and figure out how to make it myself! Butter broccoli is good and it’s about a million times better when it’s browned! But, what’s the secret? It’s got to be the Mizithra Cheese recipe for sure! Oh my. I adore it.
Browned Butter Broccoli with Mizithra Cheese Recipe
The first time Browned Butter Broccoli and Mizithra Cheese deliciously passed my lips was at the Spaghetti Factory about 10 years ago now… Oh, I was totally hooked with the first bite! I instantly knew that I’d be duplicating it at home. Mmmmm hmm.
What is Mizithra Cheese?
• Mizithra Cheese is a Greek cheese made from sheep or goats milk. It is primarily produced on the island of Crete, but it is widespread throughout Greece. Mizithra can be salt dried to produce a mature salty cheese.
• Mizithra is a pasteurized sheep’s milk cheese made all over Greece. In the past, balls of Mizithra were hung outside wrapped in sheets to drain as part of their preparation. Today, cheese makers try to stay true to the rustic roots of hanging, depending on the time of year the milk was harvested.
• When cooking with Mizithra, or any ethnic ingredient, it helps to look at how the people who created it use it.
• The Greeks enjoy Mizithra at all times of the day.
• For breakfast serve slices with thyme honey and fresh fruit. Serve it as an appetizer with olives, tomatoes, basil and bread, like you would Mozzarella. As this cheese ages, it evolves and goes even better with traditional Greek flavors. Crumble or grate it over Mediterranean inspired salads and pastas. For a wine pairing, try serving it with Prosecco.
Tips for making Browned Butter Broccoli with Mizithra Cheese Recipe
• Make sure your fry pan is good and hot when adding the butter to brown that way it will easily brown and caramelize.
• Continually stir butter for 1-2 minutes until you see the brown color deepen and the caramelized fragrance.
• Add broccoli, continue stirring while cooking 2 minutes, cover with lid and cook 2 minutes or until reaches desired tenderness.
• We prefer broccoli tender-firm so we usually don’t put a lid on it and enjoy it crunchier.
• Then the magic sprinkling of Mizithra Cheese! I am very generous with it 🙂
• Serve and enjoy your Browned Butter Broccoli with Mizithra Cheese Recipe!
You may also enjoy these other side dish recipes:
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 tablespoons Mizithra Cheese, finely grated
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coat large fry pan with cooking spray; warm pan to medium high.
- Melt butter, stirring, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until butter caramelizes and is fragrant.
- Add broccoli, stir, cover with a lid and cook 1 minute, stir, repeat until tender soft.
- Approx 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons Mizithra Cheese, pour onto serving platter, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Browned Butter Broccoli with Mizithra Cheese will make even non-broccoli-eaters like broccoli! YUM.
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. . . if you get a chance to make this recipe leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie so we can share the joy of cooking with you!
One more thing before you go!. . . be inspired with CWR Recipe, Travel, and a variety of Etceteras every week by signing up to receive our emails! Click here to subscribe. We send out our newest posts, a collection of our latest favorites, and more! We love to stay connected with you.
Ruthie & Madeliene