Old Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe has been a favorite of our family for many years. I created a copycat version of the Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe with Mizithra Cheese and browned butter because we loved it! I think my version is healthier than the spaghetti factory broccoli but it tastes just as good!
Why we love Old Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe
We adore our Old Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe so much! Back in 2006 we enjoyed this recipe while at dining at the Old Spaghetti Factory–after reading the description on the menu, I knew I could make it at home.
I asked our waitress about the mizithra cheese (back then it wasn’t readily available in stores). I was able to buy some to take home with me and that’s how it became one of our favorite veggie dishes!
Give our simple to make Roasted Spiced Cauliflower Recipe a try too!
What is Mizithra Cheese?
• Mizithra Cheese is a Greek cheese made from sheep or goats milk. It is primarily produced on the island of Crete, but it is widespread throughout Greece. Mizithra can be salt dried to produce a mature salty cheese.
• Mizithra is a pasteurized sheep’s milk cheese made all over Greece. In the past, balls of Mizithra were hung outside wrapped in sheets to drain as part of their preparation. Today, cheese makers try to stay true to the rustic roots of hanging, depending on the time of year the milk was harvested.
• When cooking with Mizithra, or any ethnic ingredient, it helps to look at how the people who created it use it.
• The Greeks enjoy Mizithra at all times of the day.
• For breakfast serve slices with thyme honey and fresh fruit. Serve it as an appetizer with olives, tomatoes, basil and bread, like you would Mozzarella. As this cheese ages, it evolves and goes even better with traditional Greek flavors. Crumble or grate it over Mediterranean inspired salads and pastas. For a wine pairing, try serving it with Prosecco.
Step-by-Step tutorial to make Old Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe
How to buy Mizithra Cheese
If your not familiar with Mizithra Cheese you can find it any store that carries a large variety of cheeses. If there is a Spaghetti Factory near you they sell it–all shredded and ready to go by the pound.
It freezes wonderfully and last up to 4 months in the freezer.
Let us tempt you with our Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes with Cranberry Chevre Recipe too!
Old Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe
Old Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe has been a favorite of our family for many years!
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 tablespoons Mizithra Cheese, finely grated
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coat large fry pan with cooking spray; warm pan to medium high.
- Melt butter, stirring, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until butter caramelizes and fragrant.
- Add broccoli, stir, cover with a lid and cook 1 minute, stir, repeat until tender soft.
- Approx 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons Mizithra Cheese, pour onto serving platter, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
More Side Recipes
• German Apple and Celery Root Salad
• Southwest Roasted Cauliflower
• Green Beans with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette and Parmesan Crumbs
• Roasted Butternut Squash, Feta, and Pine Nut Salad
• Browned Butter, Parmesan, and Almond Green Beans
Old Spaghetti Factory Broccoli Recipe is a real crowd pleaser… your kids will even want to eat their veggies!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: email@example.com. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Cooking with Ruthie on Instagram
Cooking with Ruthie on Pinterest
Cooking with Ruthie on Facebook
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
- Cranberry Lime Margaritas Recipe
- Hot Chocolate Peppermint Brownies Recipe
- Grilled Red Wine and Garlic Elk Steak Recipe
- Danish Butter Cookies Recipe
- French Crème Fraîche Recipe
- Browned Butter Broccoli with Mizithra Cheese Recipe
- Candy Cane White Chocolate Mini Cheesecakes Recipe
- Brown Sugar Banana Squash Recipe