Cheesy Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe with a crispy panko topping is sure to bring smiles to everyone at your table! Our Baked Macaroni and Cheese is filled with all kinds of cheesy-creamy-deliciousness– gruyere cheese, sharp cheddar, parmesan, and splash of whipping cream. Our baked mac and cheese can be adapted to any variety of cheese you’ve got in the fridge or freezer, so feel free to use what you have on-hand! My son, Jake, and his buddies are the chef’s of our recipe today! One Sunday not too long ago, they decided to try their hand at making some homemade mac and cheese. I have to say they did a really fabulous job and we just couldn’t get enough of their Cheesy Baked Mac & Cheese!
A fancy classic; Cheesy Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe
• The exact origin of macaroni and cheese is unknown, though it most likely hails from Northern Europe, with the earliest known recorded recipe being scribbled down in 1769.
• Kraft Foods introduced its boxed macaroni and cheese in 1937, when America was in the throes of the Great Depression.
• According to more than one urban legend, macaroni and cheese was invented by Thomas Jefferson, who, in the variant told by Alton Brown of Good Eats, upon failing to receive an Italian pasta-making machine, designed his own machine, made the macaroni, and had the cook put liberal quantities of York cheddar and bake it.
Our Carter boy loves, loves, loves his Mac & Cheese!
Between Mac and Cheese and chicken nuggets… this little toddler is a happy camper. He definitely takes after his uncle Jake, the chef of the day. 😉 My Jake was such a picky, picky eater when he was a kid! I had to try so hard to sneak in some greens whenever I possibly could. There is nothing wrong with eating Mac & Cheese… but maybe not every single day… like my Jakey wanted to. 🙂
Jake loved my fruit (and veggie) smoothies. He had no idea that I put spinach and other good veggies in the smoothies until one day, he walked in and saw me adding the vegetables into the blender. Oh my gosh, I thought I was ruined and that I’d never be able to get him to eat the smoothies again! Thank goodness, he paid more attention to the fact that he already loved the smoothies and couldn’t tell that vegetables were my secret ingredient. Sometimes that sweet boy would drink a nutritious smoothie with his mac & cheese happiness. Talk about doin’ it right!
Enjoy our Cheesy Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe and some of these, too!
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked (or other tubular pasta)
- 3 cups milk - to cook pasta in
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly coat a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl; set aside.
- Cook the pasta in 3 cups milk to al dente.
- Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl; set aside to cool while preparing cheese sauce.
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan, dutch oven, or stock pot.
- Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until smooth; continue whisking until bubbles appear on surface.
- Continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes, add salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of shredded cheese; stir until smooth.
- Repeat with 2 cups cheese; whisk until smooth. (Sauce will be thick)
- Add pasta; stir to combine.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 2 cups cheese, top with remaining noodles.
- In a small bowl combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, melted butter and paprika. Sprinkle over the top and bake until bubbly and golden brown, approx 30 minutes.
- Enjoy your Cheesy Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 701Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 929mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 31g
Bring smiles to the whole table with our Cheesy Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe!
We love to hear about your magical cooking moments. If you get a chance to make our recipes then leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram @cookingwithruthie, pin us on Pinterest, or follow along with us on Facebook so we can share in the joy of cooking with you! Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you!! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends! Our hearts sing when you do. We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here.
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene