Spelt Sourdough Loaf is full of flavor that only sourdough and whole grains can produce! It’s quite remarkable, actually!
I hope that over the past year I’ve been able to sway you into having a sourdough start in your kitchen. It’s so much fun and tastes amazing. Most of you probably think of the strong flavor of store bought sourdough bread that I was familiar with before I got my own start. It’s much different. It adds a lovely subtle tang to recipes and not the pungent flavor that sourdough “store bought” breads have.
Spelt Sourdough Loaf is made with half spelt flour/half unbleached flour to make the perfect flavor, moisture, and crumb combination. I’m having so much fun trying different combinations of flours with my sourdough start~ it’s hard to pick a favorite!
If you haven’t gotten a start going, then today’s the day!! This a great sourdough started recipe from King Arthur Flour with some awesome tips and tricks for taking care of it. It needs a little bit of love in the form of flour and water a couple times a week if it lives out of the fridge. If you keep it in the fridge then once a week will do it!
You’ll be so happy to play with your sourdough start and you won’t even believe how many amazing recipes there are to make with your Sourdough Starter- jump over and check them out by clicking here. A few of my very favorites are Blueberry Sourdough Pancakes, Homemade Sourdough Biscuits, and Sourdough Coconut Banana Bread. YUMMMMM!
Spelt Sourdough Loaf is lovely paired with some homemade jam!
AND a big thank you to my cute neighbor Margot who gave the jam to me that it’s in these photo’s. I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Much Love and Peace~
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon yeast
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup honey
- Coat one side of a piece of saran wrap with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large non-metallic bowl combine flours, sea salt, and yeast; mix to combine.
- Add hot water, stir by hand until evenly moistened.
- Add sourdough starter and honey; mix to incorporate (it will have lumps.)
- Cover entire bowl with prepared saran wrap.
- Let sit for at least 12-18 hours. (can go longer if needed)
- Gently turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, pull the sides in, and flip the loaf over.
- Cover again with the same saran and let raise for 45 min.
- Using a sharp knife, gently score the top in the shape of a square.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with ceramic dutch oven and lid inside.
- Carefully place dough in pot, replace lid, and cook for 20-22 minutes - a deep brown, crispy top of loaf is desired.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2134Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2686mgCarbohydrates: 462gFiber: 38gSugar: 86gProtein: 67g
- Cauliflower Cheese Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Croutons Recipe
- Gingerbread Biscotti Recipe
- Pappardelle with Asparagus, Mushroom, and Ricotta Recipe
- Papaya Pineapple Salsa Recipe
- Irish Coffee With Kahlua & Creme De Cacao Recipe
- Starbucks Orange Mango Smoothie Recipe
- Irish Soda Farls Recipe
- Avocado, Hummus, & Feta Grilled Cheese Recipe