Hello all! I’m Jen and I will be a regular monthly contributor to What’s Cooking With Ruthie. I’m honored to be able to share with you some of my upcoming recipes at Bakerette.com and YOU, my dear friends, get the first sneak peak!
Yes, you did hear it right…S-Q-U-A-S-H.
Don’t run away just because you saw “squash” in the title. You’ve had zucchini in breads and cakes before, right? Delicious, right? Nod your head yes. Thank you. So, just think outside the box and instead of green, think yellow. That’s really the only switch in this delightful treat I concocted. It’s incredibly moist and delicious. Top it with whipping cream and it’s a dessert you’ll want to go back for. Not to mention you get one cup full of carrots, 1 cup full of butternut squash, and a smidgen of applesauce. Healthy.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup butternut squash, shredded
- 1/2 cup pecans, or walnuts, finely crushed
- Whipped topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, dry milk, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
- Add applesauce, egg, and water to the dry mixture. With an electric hand mixer on low speed, beat the ingredients to form a batter, then turn speed up to medium high and continue beating for an additional 2 minutes.
- By hand, stir in carrots, squash, and nuts.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving. Top with whipped topping.
Oh my goodness… this Carrot Squash Cake looks too GOOD to be good for me 🙂
Thanks so much to Jen for sharing this yummy recipe with us- have a look at these other delicious recipes from Bakerette:
I love Jen and her all her delicious recipes and I’m so excited to have her visit with us each month as a Contributor!
Have a fabulous Friday! Yipee!!