Our Carrot Squash Cake Recipe is incredibly moist and delicious! Today’s squash cake is even better with whipping cream–a dessert you’ll want to go back for. Not to mention you get one cup full of carrots, 1 cup full of butternut squash, and a smidgen of applesauce. Healthy!
Why we love Carrot Squash Cake Recipe
Don’t run away just because you saw “squash” in the title. You’ve had zucchini in breads and cakes before, right? Delicious, right? Nod your head yes.
So, just think outside the box and instead of green, think yellow. That’s really the only switch in this delightful treat I concocted.
Ingredients in Carrot Squash Cake Recipe
- all-purpose flour
- dry milk
- baking powder
- cinnamon, ground cloves, ground allspice
- unsweetened applesauce
- butternut squash
- pecans, or walnuts
- whipped cream, optional
We think you’ll love our Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting too!
Helpful baking tips for higher elevations
- If you live 3,000 feet above sea level or more it is considered high elevation and may take longer to cook/bake.
- Adjustments are needed for 5000+ feet and above:
- Reduce baking powder: for each teaspoon, decrease 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Reduce sugar: for each cup, decrease 2 tablespoons.
- Increase liquid: for each cup, add 2 to 4 tablespoons.
- Increase oven temperature by 25 degrees F.
- Check if it is done a little early.
- This takes some trial and error to get it right for you.
Learn more HERE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup butternut squash, shredded
- 1/2 cup pecans, or walnuts, finely crushed
- Whipped topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan (or line with parchment paper).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, dry milk, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
- Add applesauce, egg, and water to the dry mixture. With an electric hand mixer on low speed, beat the ingredients to form a batter, then turn speed up to medium high and continue beating for an additional 2 minutes.
- By hand, stir in carrots, squash, and nuts.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving. Top with whipped topping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g
More Cake Recipes
- Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Mousse Cake with Fresh Berries
- Greek Lemon Yogurt Cake
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake
- Irish Cream Bundt Cake
- Banana Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
- Classic Angel Flake Cake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Bundt Cake
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
*this recipe was contributed by Bakerette