Today, I’m so happy to have Jen from Bakerette with us to share this fabulous recipe… I’ll let Jen take it from here 🙂
Top of the morning to you…
Hey, it’s Jen from Bakerette.com and it’s been waaaaay too long since I last talked to you and shared with you my Carrot Squash Cake! In fact, it’s been a month and in Jeni time that’s like, well, ages! Since then I’ve finished watching the final episodes of Suits. Anyone watched that TV series? It’s totally cruel to make me wait until summer to find out what happens next in the Jessica wars. Ugh. Just hate that. I’m not patient. In the meantime I’ve gotten caught up in White Collar and Walking Dead and can you believe it? Those final episodes are coming soon. What am I supposed to do? Work? Actually do something productive? Pshaw.
Anyhoo, on to this pesto avocado recipe. There’s only a few more days left until we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and how about a green sandwich to celebrate? How about a green sandwich that is actually healthy for you? I’ve been stuffing my face with all kinds of goodies, like my Greek Yogurt Cupcakes with Buttermint Frosting that it’s time I put something a little healthy in me.
I went to this health food class last week and did you know we’re supposed to be having FORTY grams of fiber a day? Holy crap. I think I only get 10 at the most. Where should we get our sources of fiber? Well, for one, legumes have the highest amount of fiber followed by veggies. I bet you thought it would be whole grains, right? They’re a close 4th 🙂 So eat this sandwich and you’ll get a kick on your way to that 40 grams.
- Pesto, yields 1 1/4 cup:
- 1 medium shallot, diced (if in a pinch, you can substitute with 1/8 cup onion)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 handful spinach
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- Toppings, for 2 sandwiches:
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted (I love Prairie Grain's Golden Sunflower Wheat Bread, or try this homemade version)
- 8 slices cucumber
- 2 large slices tomato
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Broccoli sprouts, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Or any other veggie toppings you find enticing
- For Pesto: In a food processor, pulse together shallots, garlic, parsley, tarragon, basil, and spinach.
- Add the olive oil, cream cheese, and salt and pulse until blended and smooth.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- For Sandwich: Spread desired amount of pesto on both slices of toasted bread.
- On one slice of toasted bread, layer the cucumber, tomato, avocado and broccoli sprouts.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with second slice of toasted bread.
- Cut in two and serve.
Mmmmm… YUM! What a savory looking sandwich. I just LOVE pesto 🙂
Thanks so much to Jen from Bakerette for sharing with us today… I just love Jen! Jump over and visit her to check out all the amazing things she’s got going on.
Here a few more recipes from Jen for you to enjoy:
Happy Friday! YAY!!
Oh. and…. Come and share at Super Saturday Show & Tell tomorrow! I love seeing everyones creative projects and recipes– it’s such a fun party 🙂