Sourdough Coconut Banana Bread is one of the most deliciously amazing loaves you’ll ever taste! Oh my.
It’s just SO good!!
If you’re a fan of coconut then this loaf is just what you need~ it’s one of those delicate loaves that melt in your mouth. Oh my goodness. This recipe alone is completely worth getting your sour dough start going 🙂
If you’re like me- I used to only be familiar with sour dough bread loaves which are very good but have a strong, sharp flavor to it. These recipes using sour dough start that I have been sharing with you are much more mild. The sour dough starter just adds a little bit of ‘tang’ to it and let me tell you it’s a tang you want to experience! Seriously.
It’s a whole new flavor accent that I completely adore!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh sourdough start or sour cream
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed (approx 1 cup)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Coconut Glaze:
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping
- toasted coconut flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Coat 9x5 pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream coconut oil.
- Add sugars and cream 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add egg; mix 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla, sourdough start, and mashed banana; mix to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, sea salt, and baking soda; use a whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture all at once to wet ingredients; mix until 80% incorporated.
- Add sweetened coconut flakes; gently mix with spatula to combine.
- Do not over mix- a few lumps are okay.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center removes clean.
- If at 45 minutes the top of the loaf looks very browned, set a piece of foil over the top to protect over browning. ( I needed to do this)
- Cool on rack for 10 minutes, turn out and complete cooling.
- Coconut Glaze:
- In a small mixing bowl cream butter.
- Add powdered sugar; mix.
- Add coconut flavoring; mix.
- Add cream 1 tablespoon at a time; mix between additions.
- Spread on cooled loaf and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Slice and serve.
Sourdough Coconut Banana Bread will wow all your friends and neighbors- they’ll all be asking what’s your secret? What is that special ‘tang’ it has? You can just smile and say thank you and then let them in on our sour dough start secret! Or not.
Just kidding 🙂
Sour Dough Coconut Banana Bread will make you famous all around town… you may even end up giving starts to your family friends so they can bake up some too!
Much Love and Peace~