Gram’s Banana Bread is one of those recipes that has connected our family for generations, it’s moist and sweet and every bite is filled with lovely memories!
One of the most frequently used recipes of my Grams is her Banana Bread. It’s hands down the best I have EVER tasted! It’s beautiful the way this recipe brings back memories of her, she passed away in 1996 at much too young of an age. I wish my kids could of known her maybe through my cooking and her recipes, they do a little bit.
Over the years I adapted Gram’s original recipe a little bit reducing fat and cholesterol. If you’d rather use 1/2 cup of butter and 2 whole eggs instead of my replacements than, that’s okay. But… I promise my healthier version tastes every bit as good as Gram’s full calorie loaf!
Grams Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature (or to reduce fat/cholesterol use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large overripe bananas mashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts optional
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Coat 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In standing mixer cream butter, add sugar, mix 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time; beating 1 minute and scrapping with each addition.
- Add applesauce, lemon juice, and mashed bananas; mix to incorporate.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and sea salt in bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add all at once to wet, mix just until moistened- okay if lumpy.
- Evenly spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted removes clean.
- Remove and cool 5 minutes, turn out and complete cooling.
- Slice and Enjoy!
I’m happy to share this family favorite recipes of Gram’s with y’all today. I hope that you love it as much as we do. I also hope when my kids make this recipe for their children, and chat about Gram as this Banana Bread recipe continues to connect the generations.
Gram’s Banana Bread is sure to make you’re family just as happy as it makes ours!
Much Love and Peace~