Grandma’s Banana Bread Recipe is one of our favorite recipes that has connected our family for generations–it’s moist, sweet, and filled with memories! Gram’s banana bread recipe needs overripe bananas because that’s where the rich flavor comes from then we add butter, applesauce, eggs, flour, and sugar to create the perfect banana sweet bread!
Why we love Grandma’s Banana Bread Recipe
When my kiddos where little we make this recipe into banana bread muffins for them to take to school in their lunch boxes. Enjoy this banana bread recipe in a loaf or as muffins, either way it will soon be a favorite with your family too!
Gram’s Banana Bread Recipe is a family favorite!
I also hope when my kids make this recipe for their children, and chat about Gram as this Banana Bread recipe continues to connect the generations. One of the most frequently used recipes of my Grandma Louise is her Banana Bread.
It’s hands down the best I have EVER tasted! It’s beautiful the way this recipe brings back memories of her, she passed away in 1996 at much too young of an age. I wish my kids could of known her maybe through my cooking and her recipes, they do a little bit.
Ingredients for Gram’s Banana Bread Recipe
Over the years, I’ve adapted Gram’s original recipe a little bit reducing fat and cholesterol. If you’d rather use 1/2 cup of butter and 2 whole eggs instead of my replacements than, that’s okay. But, I promise my healthier version tastes every bit as good as Gram’s full calorie loaf!
- Granulated Sugar- Granulated sugar is also sometimes known as white sugar, or “regular” sugar. Granulated sugar has had all of the naturally present molasses refined out of it. The fine crystals in granulated sugar don’t cake together, which makes it perfect for measuring, sprinkling onto food and dissolving into drinks.
- Eggs- I place my eggs in a small bowl of very warm water while I’m gathering all the other ingredients and prepping to bake then when I’m ready to add them into the batter they have reached the perfect temperature! Add your eggs one at a time and cream for 2 minutes, then scape the bowl down using a rubber spatula, and add the next egg. This is the best way to be sure the eggs are incorporated evenly into the batter. Beating each egg individually is essential because eggs act as a leavener which brings the loft (height) into your baked goods.
- All–purpose flour- is a general use white flour. It is not a whole flour, and only the starchy endosperm is used, without the germ and bran portion of the kernel. It is a blend of hard and soft flours or hard flours with a protein content (gluten) of about 9 to 12 percent.
- Leaveners- We are using baking soda (as mentioned above eggs and incorporating air are also leaveners) in our Banana Bread Recipe. Baking soda is chemical leavening agents that causes batters to rise when baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already present in the batter produced through creaming of ingredients.
- Liquids- We have applesauce, banana’s, and lemon juice
Helpful baking tips for higher elevations
- If you live 3,000 feet above sea level or more it is considered high elevation and may take longer to cook/bake.
- Adjustments are needed for 5000+ feet and above:
- Reduce baking powder: for each teaspoon, decrease 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Reduce sugar: for each cup, decrease 2 tablespoons.
- Increase liquid: for each cup, add 2 to 4 tablespoons.
- Increase oven temperature by 25 degrees F.
- Check if it is done a little early.
- This takes some trial and error to get it right for you.
Learn more HERE
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature (or to reduce fat/cholesterol use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Coat 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In standing mixer cream butter, add sugar, mix 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time; beating 1 minute and scrapping with each addition.
- Add applesauce, lemon juice, and mashed bananas; mix to incorporate.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and sea salt in bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add all at once to wet, mix just until moistened- okay if lumpy.
- Evenly spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted removes clean.
- Remove and cool 5 minutes, turn out and complete cooling.
- Slice and Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 5g
We hope you enjoy Gram’s Banana Bread Recipe and some of these sweet loaves too!
- Apple Cinnamon Bread with Vanilla Bean Frosting
- Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Loaf
- Sourdough Banana Zucchini Bread
- Sourdough Pumpkin Bread
- Apple Banana Bread
- Cranberry Orange Loaf with Orange Zest Frosting
- Crock-pot Cranberry Orange Bread
- Zucchini Oat Bread
- Apple Pie Bread
Grandma’s Banana Bread Recipe is sure to make you’re family just as happy as it makes ours!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: email@example.com. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
- Buttermilk Greek Yogurt Pancakes Recipe
- Tres Leches Cake with Strawberries Recipe
- Green Chili Black Beans Recipe
- Elk Chili Recipe
- Irish Creme de Menthe Cocktail Recipe
- Cadbury Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- Taco Casserole Recipe
- Healthy Omega 3 Cookies Recipe
- Festive Ginger Snaps Cookies Recipe
- Pineapple Italian Ice Recipe
- Starbucks Spinach Feta Wrap (copycat) Recipe
- Southern Black Beans and Rice Recipe