Sourdough Banana Zucchini Bread is an unbelievably delicious loaf- the subtle tang of the sourdough starter with banana and zucchini is completely amazing!
I never knew how much I would come to love my sour dough starter~ it’s so much fun to create with it in my kitchen! Do you want to have a starter of your own but don’t know how to get one? King Arthur Flour has a great recipe for starting some for your kitchen… Sourdough Starter Recipe.
Having a sourdough starter is a lot like having a pet… it has to be fed and cared for. Now, there are two ways to go to about caring for your new sourdough starter~ it can be put it in the fridge and then it only needs fed flour and water once a week but the cold slows it down, so just makes sure to take it out of the fridge a couple of days before you want to use it. I keep my sourdough starter on the wash board and feed it every couple of days but I use it regularly. To feed your sourdough starter just add equal parts warm water and flour to your starter- I usually add 3/4 cup of each 2-3 times a week.
I love my sourdough starter and so you’ll be seeing more delicious sourdough recipes popping up around here 🙂
Sourdough Banana Zucchini Bread is a sweet loaf that uses over ripe banana’s and those zucchini that are growing like crazy out in the garden! But, the best part is that it tastes AH-mazing!
- 2/3 cups butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini squash
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Coat with cooking spray two 9x5-inch loaf pans or 4 petite loaf pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs one at a time, blending and scraping after each addition.
- Stir in mashed bananas and sourdough starter.
- Stir in the vanilla extract; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until 80% incorporated.
- Add shredded zucchini squash to the mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes on cooling rack, invert to remove and finish cooling.
- Slice and Serve.
You’ll love this Sourdough Banana Zucchini Bread so much… get some sourdough starter going and enjoy the sourdough love with me!
Happy Labor Day! I hope you have had a nice and relaxing long weekend.
Happy Monday 🙂
Much Love and Peace~