Sourdough Pumpkin Bread has a light pumpkin flavor with that delicious touch of sourdough tang- it’s amazing!
Have you started a sourdough start yet? I wish you would join in the fun cuz it adds a delightful tang to recipes and of course offers other benefits too!
Here’s a good sourdough started recipe from King Arthur Flour with some awesome tips and tricks for taking care of it. It needs a little bit of love in the form of flour and water a couple times a week if it lives out of the fridge. If you keep it in the fridge then once a week will do it!
- 1⅓ cups fresh sourdough starter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup honey or agave, warmed to a pourable consistency
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- In a large non-metallic bowl; beat together sourdough starter, pumpkin, milk, and flour.
- Cover with saran wrap and ferment in a warm place for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- When ready to bake, beat together melted butter, egg, and honey in a small bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together salt, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Mix butter mixture into sourdough batter until mostly combined.
- Sprinkle dry ingredients over the dough and stir in until just combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle top of loaf with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, turn out and complete cooling on rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.
This loaf takes a little processing time- it has to sit overnight and work it’s sourdough awesomeness for a bit; then add in the rest of ingredients the next day and bake it off. It’s easy but just remember to plan on 12-24 hours for it do it’s sourdough magic.
Sourdough Pumpkin Loaf is the perfect little loaf for your autumn baking!
Don’t miss my other other sourdough recipes~ there’s always some new ones being created in my kitchen!
Much Love and Peace~