Some of you may know that I was over weight about 14 years ago (read my weight loss story here) and I lost 95 pounds over a 4 year period. I’ve kept it off by making healthy changes to my lifestyle and a big part of that was healthier techniques in my cooking. This recipe has some of my favorite reduce calories/fat tricks in it.
A couple of my favorite tricks are: replace 80% of the oil or butter with fat-free greek yogurt, replace one egg yolk with 2 egg whites (which reduces the fat by 4.5 grams and cholesterol by 184 milligrams). I also replaced almost half of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour which bumps up the nutrition value. You’ll never be able to taste any of these healthier changes but your waistline will definitely thank you 🙂
Triple Berry Banana Bread is packed with delicious-good-for-you-ingredients!
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 C white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 C sugar
- 2/3 C light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 C mashed overripe banana, appox 5 banana
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 C fat-free vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/2 C low-fat milk
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 1 whole, 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 C mixed fresh berries, I used blueberry, sliced strawberries, sliced in half blackberries
- 2 Tbsp turbinado raw sugar, divided
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Take 2- 9x5 loaf pans and coat with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flours, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine mashed bananas, yogurt, milk, oil, eggs, vanilla; mix.
- Pour into dry ingredient well, stir until 80% incorporated.
- Add berries, gently stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake 60-75 minutes until toothpick inserted in center removes clean.
- Remove to cooling racks, cool in pans for 15 minutes, turn out bread and complete cooling on racks.
- Slice and Serve!
I hope that this Triple Berry Banana Bread will be a deliciously new way to use up your next over-ripe banana’s!
Here are a couple of other creative banana recipes you’ll also enjoy…
I love to make all kinds of yummy Banana Recipes and I hope you’ll enjoy making and tasting some of them too!
Happy Wednesday 🙂
PS- I shared this over at Beneath my Heart too
- Feta and Pistachio Avocado Toast Recipe
- Homemade Flour Tortillas Recipe
- 12 Irish Recipes; Savory & Sweet
- French Baguette Recipe & Sacré-Cœur, Paris
- Philly Cheesesteak Pockets Recipe
- Kneaders Recipe Rosemary Focaccia Bread Recipe
- Quick Spaghetti and Focaccia Bread
- Whole Wheat 12 hour Butterhorn Dinner Rolls