Chocolate Bundt Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache is chocolate heaven and every bit as delicious as it is beautiful!
A decadent and rich chocolate cake is always enjoyed anywhere it goes, anytime of year, any event, or just one of those plain ole’ I need a slice of chocolate cake days! I promise it won’t last long… whatever your reason for baking!
This cake actually calls for 1 cup of sourdough starter BUT, no worries, if you don’t have it then just replace with light sour cream- it’ll still produces a moist and delicate loaf but I’m telling you (begging, actually!) to get a starter going. You’ll love it.
Here’s a good sourdough starter recipe from King Arthur Flour with some awesome tips and tricks for taking care of it, if you want start one of your very own 🙂
I love chocolate and berries… they just naturally belong together in my little head, so I added strawberries to the cake for a garnish and then I also served it with sliced strawberries as well. If your a true chocolate lover, I’m sure that berries are just an unnecessary distraction! However I totally promise that it’s completely fabulous anyway you decide to present it 🙂
Did you know that there’s a SUPER simple way to make ganache frosting? Y’all it’s almost a sin it’s sooooo simple! All you do is warm cream and pour it over chocolate chips- wait 10 minutes, stir, and pour! Wha-la!! That’s it.
What’s even better is you can use any type of chocolate chips- so feel free to play and have fun with ganache! I love it. Here’s a couple of other recipes that have ganache Peanut butter Ganache Chocolate Cookies, Gingerbread cake with White Chocolate Ganache, and Chocolate Mousse Cake!!
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache is a little slice of chocolate heaven!
Much Love and Peace~
Chocolate Bundt Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup "fed" sourdough starter or light sour cream
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa not Dutch process
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder or amoretti capaccino-tiramisu flavoring
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- Dark Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- white and brown chocolate sprinkles to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl combine sour dough starter, milk, and flour; mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, vanilla, salt, baking soda, cocoa. and espresso flavoring- the mixture will be grainy.
- Add the eggs one at a time; beating well with each addition.
- Gently combine the chocolate mixture with the starter-flour-milk mixture, stirring till smooth- batter will smooth out as you continue to beat gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes, until it springs back when lightly pressed in the center, and a toothpick removed clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack to cool; cool 10 minutes and turn out onto cooling rack to complete cooling.
- When completely cooled place on serving plate and make ganache
- Dark Chocolate Ganache:
- Place chocolate chips in large mixing bowl.
- Heat cream to almost a simmer and pour over chips.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes; stir until smooth and pour over top of cake in a circular pattern.
- Garnish with sprinkles.
- Serve and Enjoy!
*this recipe was adapted from this Sourdough Chocolate Cake recipe