Traditional French Chocolate Mousse is simple yet sophisticated; garnished with fresh blueberries, blackberries, cookie crumbles, and a white chocolate a drizzle makes it deliciously decadent!
Traditional French Chocolate Mousse is a beautiful dessert and a lovely way to round out a delicious dinner gathering. This decadent dessert is airy yet has an intense chocolate flavor because it incorporates a good amount of bittersweet chocolate. I like to use 60-72% cacao. In this recipe I used 72% cacao, I enjoy the contrasting flavors of a darker chocolate while being off set by the lighter flavored garnishments.
Don’t be intimidated by the look and sound of our Traditional French Chocolate Mousse recipe- you can do it! It’s really pretty simple to make; just whipping the cream and the egg whites in separate bowls, add a few more ingredients to each, and combine them to finish it off.
It can be made up to a day ahead to help out on prepping for the day of your event. A couple of tips to make it a seamless presentation; once you’ve divided mousse into your chilled serving dishes- keep them air tight, then add the garnishments just before serving, and I promise you’ll wow the entire dinner party with your culinary masterpiece!
- 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 ounces fine quality bittersweet chocolate, 60-72% cacao, melted and cooled but still pourable
- Garnish options: fresh blueberries and black berries, cookie crumbles, and white chocolate drizzle
- In a large bowl, beat cream, vanilla, and salt with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form; chill.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites with hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Using a wire whisk and whisking, slowly add sugar to egg whites; continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add melted chocolate to egg whites, and fold until almost incorporated; add whipped cream and fold until completely incorporated.
- Divide among serving cups; chill.
- Can be made up to 1 day ahead, kept air tight, and refrigerated.
- When serving garnish with desired garnishments.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1523Total Fat: 77gSaturated Fat: 41gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 175gFiber: 30gSugar: 96gProtein: 35g
Happy, Happy Monday! Hope it’s a great one 🙂
Much Love and Peace~