I know, I know… we’ve been on a huge chocolate binge this week! Gotta get all that chocolate lovin’ in with Valentines Day only 2 days away, right?!
Okay… I’m totally justifying my indulgences. But seriously, take a look at all this decadent chocolatey-ness…
Now we’re talking 🙂 If you don’t happen to have petite heart pans for your Valentine baking then grab an 9×13 and follow along… this cake is amazing anyway you bake it.
Black Forest Sweetheart Cakes are impressive enough to please the foodies in your life! Share the love.
- 1/2 C butter, softened
- 4 oz neufatchel cream cheese
- 1 3/4 C sugar
- 2 eggs, 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites to lower fat
- 1 /2 C light sour cream
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 C dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 C low-fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 C whipped cream; whipped to stiff peak, for topping
- 1 C cherry pie filling, for topping
- chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Coat mini heart shaped pans or a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cream butter and neufatchel cream cheese in mixer with beater attachment until smooth.
- Add sugar and mix 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at time, scraping bowl with each addition.
- Add light sour cream; mix and turn off mixer.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, sea salt; stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients all at once; mix on low until 80% combined.
- Add low-fat milk and vanilla; mix until incorporated but do not over mix.
- Divide into prepared pans, filling 2/3rds the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (40-45 for 9x13) or until toothpick inserted in center removes clean.
- Cool on rack for 5-7 minutes, invert pans and gently tap bottom if needed to release cakes.
- Cool completely.
- Chocolate Ganache:
- Place chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl.
- Gently bring cream to a simmer.
- Pour over chocolate chips and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle on top of cakes.
- Divide evenly oven sweetheart cakes or cover top of full sized cake.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and 3-4 cherries on top.
- Finish with a sprinkling of chocolate shavings.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Have you ever made chocolate ganache before? It’s SO simple. You’re going to be so impressed with yourself. Just 2 easy steps, 10 minutes, and a little stirring… that’s it! You can thank me late… hahah!
Thanks for coming to visit me and indulge in a chocolate love fest this week… I promise some savory recipes next week. (notice I didn’t promise to take a break from chocolate 🙂 )
Much Love and Peace~