I saw this Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf on www.sweetpeaskitchen.com and I thought to myself, “what a wonderful combination!!”
I’ve just got to try this Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf… as I read the recipe I was a little suprised to see a 1/2 C oil in there with all that moist yogurt!
SO, I decided to replace half the oil with applesauce (my fav way to lower fat content in anything that’s baked in a pan) I also replaced 1 of the eggs with 2 egg whites to lower fat and cholesterol a bit too. (oh yah, I also swapped the whole milk yogurt for greek yogurt to increase the protein) AND I think you’ll be quiet happy with the results… we really loved it anyway : )
Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf has fresh squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, and plump delicious blueberries! What better way to make a loaf of sweet bread?!?! Mmmm, mmm : )
Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf is a delightful little loaf either for a breakfast bread or even a dessert! My way of making the recipe is lower in fat and higher in protein both of which are a plus in my book : ) You’ll love this Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf as much as we did, I should of made a double batch!
My husband said he’d have to try another piece to make sure it was good with the applesauce in it… that’s just his way of trying to get more of that amazing Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf : )
Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf
- For the Loaf:
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest approximately 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed
- For the Lemon Syrup:
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cups confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray bottom and sides of one 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, applesauce, and oil.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and fold them very gently into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 1 hour and 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cover with foil tent at 55 minutes to prevent over browning.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack. Gently use table knife to loosen loaf from pan, if needed.
- While the loaf is cooling, make the lemon syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, continue to cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf. Brush the top and sides of the loaf with the lemon syrup. Let the syrup soak into the cake and brush again. Let the cake cool completely.
- To make the lemon glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the lemon juice. The mixture should be thick but pourable.
- Add up to another tablespoon of lemon juice if the mixture is too stiff.
- Pour the lemon glaze over the top of each loaf and let it drip down the sides.
- Let the lemon glaze harden, about 15 minutes, before serving.
- Yields: 1-9×5 loaf