Roasted Tomato, Basil, Chevre, Grilled Cheese is a little something I created to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day!
I don’t know about you but I think any day that celebrates Grilled Cheese has to be about the best day of the year! I’ve love grilled cheese for pretty much all of my life, as a kid I was all about just the bread and cheddar cheese. (which don’t get me wrong is still pretty amazing!)
Now-a-days, my adult self loves get creative when it comes to them and that’s how Roasted Tomato, Basil, Chevre, Grilled Cheese came to be! I love these flavors together and of course anything reminiscent of the Italian cuisine makes me so very happy 🙂
Roasted Tomato, Basil, Chevre Grilled Cheese
- 4 pieces whole wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons chevre cheese
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup roasted tomatoes, see below
- Roasted Tomatoes:
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teeaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss tomatoes in olive oil, sea salt, and pepper; bake 20-25 minutes (stirring twice) or until roasted and almost dry- like a paste.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Spread 1/4 of butter on two sides of bread, place butter side down on skillet.
- Layer chevre cheese, half of the roasted tomatoes, and half of basil leaves on each slice of bread on skillet.
- Spread remaining butter on remaining pieces of bread, place butter side up on sandwiches.
- Cook approximately 2-3 minutes until crispy and browned, carefully turn sandwiches over, repeat.
- If cheese has not completely melted, cover with lid, reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts and sandwich is warmed through.
- Slice in half.
- *any remaining roasted tomatoes can be used on salads or toast. Just keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Roasted Tomatoes are heavenly in this sandwich- they’re simple to make and add a mouth-watering flavor! If you happen to have some extras just save them in the fridge to use on salads or toast. My neighbor, Margot, taught me this awesome trick for when you happen to have extra tomatoes hanging around… just roast a bigger batch on a sheet pan and freeze to use all year long. They stay perfectly well and tastes amazing with so many different recipes!
Roasted Tomato, Basil, Chevre, Grilled Cheese will make the adult and the kid in you happy on National Grilled Cheese Day!
Much Love and Peace~
Rach's Recipes says
Your recipe is a winner! I added thin slices of portobello mushrooms and arugula leaves too. So good! Thank you.
Thank you for the nice comment… so glad you loved it! You’re twist on it sounds amazing 🙂 xoxo~ Ruthie