HOORAY… Fit Friday is here!
I love to have Nichole from Pure Clean Fitness comes to hang out with us on Fridays!
This week Nichole is sharing tips for Getting Back to Health . A Healthy Recipe from me + Fitness Tips from Nichole= a healthy, happy, balanced life!
Nichole’s Getting Back to Health …
I recognize that not all of us have babies, but the reality is that most of us will get injured at some point in time. And all of us will have to then decide the best way to get back into the game. Today I wanted to share some tips on how to return to working out after an injury or being sidelined.
1) Build slowly. You need to get your general fitness level back up. Take your time with this and allow yourself to build a decent..
2) Allow for extra warm up time. Include dynamic stretches and full range of motion movements.
3) Ease into working out regularly. You may need to allow for some extra time in between workouts.
4) Work on building length of time and intensity. Both will need some attention, but not necessarily at the same time.
5) Recommit to whatever it is you are wanting to do. If you are a runner like me, pick a race a few weeks down the road and start preparing. Don’t forget the previous steps though. You should select a race with ample time to rebuild and train correctly.
6) Don’t forget the mental part here. How you perceive your injury will have a huge effect on how well you get back into it all and how you continue. If you are always worrying about it that will be noted in how well you return.
Now, I am off to get some easy stretching in before I go for a walk/jog and enjoy some sunshine.
Wild Blueberry Cashew Granola is packed with good-for-you ingredients that’s delicious plus a totally healthy way to start the day!
I LOVE granola! I always have… I remember when I was a kid and my mom would make a batch every once in awhile, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven!
Then, for some reason granola got a bad wrap in my mind. Silly, I know. It’s so good for you and when it’s made at home you can get to control how much fat goes in plus add lots of healthy ingredients and so I LOVE it again! I like to keep it on hand for breakfast with milk or yogurt. I also like grab a quick hand full as I run out the door for a snack. It’s awesome!!
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup milled flax seed
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white, whisked until frothy
- 1/2 cup dried wild blueberries
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, flax seed, wheat germ, cashews, and sea salt; mix.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat- melt butter, add honey and maple syrup; stir and cook until melted.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Pour while stirring into oats mixture.
- Evenly spread on prepared baking sheet (reserving bowl), cook 10 minutes.
- Stir and cook 5 minutes.
- Return granola to mixing bowl, add egg white; toss to coat.
- Add dried wild blueberries; toss to mix.
- Evenly spread on sheet and bake 5-7 minutes more.
- Cool completely on pan and break into clusters when cooled.
This recipe is made with natural sweeteners~ raw honey and maple syrup. I also like that there’s only 1/4 cup butter in the whole darn thing! Plus, I snuck in some milled flax seed and wheat germ to bump up the nutrition a bit more too. The dried wild blueberries I found at Trader Joes are packed with amazing flavor and the cashews are always a fave. I promise you’re going to love it too!
Wild Blueberry Cashew Granola has got to be on the list to make this weekend! It’s just SO good.
Happy Fit Friday!
Much Love and Peace~
Nichole and Ruthie