Miss Julie from Confessions of a Dating Diva is here visiting with us today! I love having her come each month and share some of the delicious creations from her kitchen.
Campaign Party Salad looks like the perfect party pleaser for any holiday gathering!
I’ll turn it on over to her… Enjoy!
I’ve got a great retro party salad for you that is perfect for Christmas dinner. This past Summer my husband went back East to visit his mom. While he was there they went through family stuff and found a bunch of her recipes and as all good husbands do he brought them home to me. I’ve had a great time going through all of my mother in law’s recipes.
When I saw this dish I knew I had to make it. I have no idea why this salad is called Campaign Party Salad. I searched on Google to see the origin of this recipe, but didn’t come up with anything. I decided that this dish has all the hallmarks of a great Christmas dish. There is something festive about a creamy jello salad filled with fruit and nuts.
- 1 3 oz. box Lemon Jello
- 1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 1/2 of a jar of maraschino cherries, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 oz. Cool Whip
- In a medium-sized saucepan bring to a boil over medium heat the jello, sugar and crushed pineapple. Allow to simmer until the sugar and jello is dissolved.
- Allow to cool for 1 hour.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the cooled jello mixture, cherries, bananas and walnuts. Mix well.
- Fold in the Cool Whip and then spread into a 8x8 baking dish.
- Chill for at least two hours before serving.
This salad is quick to put together and best made a day ahead of time which makes it perfect for the holidays. I like to sprinkle a few walnuts on top of the salad as well as a cherry to add to the festiveness of this salad. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Stop by and visit with Julie at: www.confessionsofacookingdiva.com