Southwest Chicken Quinoa Salad is a refreshing winter time salad! If you haven’t discovered Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) then you’ve just got to : )
Here’s some info on this delicious ancient grain:
~ Quinoa contains more high quality protein than any other grain.
~ Quinoa stands alone as a complete protein grain, it provides all the essential amino acid.
~ Quinoa contains no gluten.
~ Quinoa is light and tasty and easy to digest. This delicate grain is much less filing than other grains and pasta and has a delicious nutty flavor all its own.
~ Quinoa is quick and easy to prepare, cooks in 15 minutes!
For more info check out this link…
* adapted from Sunset magazine Jan 2012
We had Southwest Chicken Quinoa Salad for a main dish at dinner! Every one loved it (but Jake… no surprise there!) The flavor combination is wonderful! We love lime and cilantro and the whole Southwest flavor thing!! If you’ve never tried Quinoa then this is the perfect recipe to give it a go… Southwest Chicken Quinoa Salad will quickly become a favorite!!
- 1 1/4 C quinoa
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 1 b chicken tenders
- 1/4 C lime juice
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- Cook quinoa according to package directions and fluff with a fork.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat broiler with rack set 4-6 inches from element.
- In a large bowl combine chili powder, garlic, lime zest, olive oil, 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Put chicken on a sprayed baking sheet and broil, turning once, approx 3-4 minutes each side until lightly browned and cook through.
- Let cool slightly, then shred, add to quinoa.
- Add lime juice, cilantro, orange segments, and toss.
- Top with avocado and serve!