Our Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe is the perfect pairing of chocolate and vanilla! We adore these coffee cupcakes–we’re positive you will too.
Why we love Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Baking is one of my favorite ways to share the love this time of year…Valentines Day is just around the corner! Oh my. Decadence galore 🙂
Ingredients in Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- neufatchel cream cheese
- light sour cream
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- sea salt
- strong brew coffee
- 60% dark chocolate bar
Helpful baking tips for higher elevations
- If you live 3,000 feet above sea level or more it is considered high elevation and may take longer to cook/bake.
- Adjustments are needed for 5000+ feet and above:
- Reduce baking powder: for each teaspoon, decrease 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Reduce sugar: for each cup, decrease 2 tablespoons.
- Increase liquid: for each cup, add 2 to 4 tablespoons.
- Increase oven temperature by 25 degrees F.
- Check if it is done a little early.
- This takes some trial and error to get it right for you.
Learn more HERE
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (4 ounces) neufatchel cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 /2 cup light sour cream, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup strong brew coffee or 8oz hot water and 3 tablespoons instant espresso
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (4 ounce) 60% dark chocolate bar, chopped
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 (4 ounce) neufatchel cream cheese
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate shavings, for garnish
- Brew coffee and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake liners in pan; set aside
- Cream butter and neufatchel cream cheese in mixer with beater attachment until smooth.
- Add sugar and mix 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at time, scraping bowl with each addition.
- Add sour cream; mix and turn off mixer.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, sea salt; stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients all at once; mix on low until 80% combined.
- Add coffee and vanilla; mix until incorporated but do not over mix.
- Add dark chocolate to batter and use wooden spoon to stir in and complete mixing.
- Evenly portion batter between liners (I used a small ice cream scoop to keep them even)
- Fill each liner approximately 2/3 the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center removes clean.
- Cool on rack for 5-7 minutes, invert pans and remove cupcakes to finish cooling.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In large mixing bowl cream butter and add cream cheese; cream together until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time; mixing with each addition.
- Add milk to thin if needed.
- Scoop into piping bag using a Wilton 1M round tip to pipe a large swirl of frosting on the top of each cupcake.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings (reserved from chopping chocolate for batter).
- Serve and enjoy your Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 113gFiber: 1gSugar: 96gProtein: 5g
More Cupcake Recipes
- Tiffany Blue Mini Cupcakes Recipe
- Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Cream Cheese Frosting
- Tiffany Blue and Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Chocolate Filled Cupcakes with Rose Water Frosting
- Gluten Free Red Velvet Cupcakes
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene