Hold on tight to your britches cuz this is another delicious recipe from my best friend, Carol Ray….
Carol’s Chicken Tortilla Soup can be made 2 ways… quick and easy in the slow cooker or the original way (which is not so quick)!
Either way you make it’s a savory dish that the whole family will love.
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can green chilies
- 32 oz low sodium chicken stock
- 2-3 small cans tomato sauce
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained
- For the Garnishes:
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- (Follow directions or use rotisserie chicken meat and place all ingredients in crockpot on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides.
- Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Use two forks to shred chicken.
- Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions.
- Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of the spice mix.
- Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato sauce, water, black beans, and pinto beans.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Check seasonings, adding more if needed.
- Ladle into bowls, then top with garnishes.
Carol’s Chicken Tortilla Soup will hit the spot this winter and help keep you warm too 🙂
I hope your New Years celebrations were fabulously fun! I was with a group of friends- we ate delicious appetizers, laughed, and rang in the New Year together… good times 🙂