Summer Strawberry Bruschetta has strawberries, apples, red onion, and purple basil served on a whole wheat crostini with chevre goat cheese- it’s the perfect appetizer for your end of summer gatherings!
I love Bruschetta- everything! Oh my. I decided to throw a fruity twist into this classic recipe and I must say… I’m pretty darn glad I did! It’s got to be one of the BEST appetizers I’ve ever eaten (and I’ve done my fair share of taste testing!).
Summer is winding down but I’m sure you’ll be going to a few more back yard gatherings before season is over- or at least be doing a little tail gating. This dish would be welcome anywhere you decided to take it! People always adore it AND I adored it when I got to have it for lunch last week 🙂
- 1/2 cup strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup granny smith apples, diced
- 2 tablepsoons red onion, fine diced
- 2 tablespoons purple basil, finely sliced (or sweet basil)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces chevre goat cheese
- 1 whole wheat baguette
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for toasting
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice baguette into 1/4 inch slices on an angle.
- Place slices on cookie sheet and slightly drizzle 4 tablspoons olive oil evenly over slices.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl gently combine strawberries, apples, red onion, and purple basil; gently toss.
- Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle sea salt.
- Gently toss to combine; set aside.
- Once toasts are done and cooled, spread chevre cheese on each toast, top with Summer Strawberry Bruschetta and serve immediately.
Summer Strawberry Bruschetta is ever so lovely with the purple basil but if all you can find is fresh sweet basil (green) that works just great too! They taste the same but purple basil just gives a color pop that’s always nice.
Enjoy this Summer Strawberry Bruschetta while the berries are still in season and autumn apples are starting to make their appearance- it’s sure to please any crowd!
Much Love and Peace~