Our Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe are an ever so lovely way to enjoy the beginning of the day! Today’s banana muffins are hard to beat because they are very healthy for you on top of being the best tastiest little muffins you’ve ever met! Healthy Banana Muffins combine whole wheat flour, bananas, applesauce, flaxseeds, olive oil, honey or agave, plus a few more ingredients to make them perfect!
Why we love Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
I have a serious infatuation with muffins! Moist, light, and crumbly goodness crammed into a little fluffy muffin is pretty close to heaven for me. These Healthy Banana Muffins are NO exception.
I think my muffin addiction must be hereditary because my 2 year old daughter gets so excited while they’re baking! She keeps running over, looking in, and points while saying ‘cookies’. Yes, my sweet girl, they are just as amazing a freshly baked cookies.
The best part. . . is when they magically emerge from your oven as freshly baked little healthy banana cupcakes heaven!
Ingredients in Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
• Bananas- are also rich in potassium, fiber and natural sugars. The vitamin C, potassium and other vitamins and minerals bananas contain help to maintain overall good health. Because the fruit’s sugar content is balanced with fiber, it helps maintain a healthy blood glucose level.
• Applesauce- Helps Promote Good Digestion. Due to a high concentration of pectin, applesauce aids in good digestion and helps remove waste from the body. Simultaneously it promotes the growth of probiotics. Apples contain soluble fiber — the kind that can help lower your blood cholesterol levels. They also contain polyphenols, which have antioxidant effects.
• Whole Wheat Flour- naturally has the level of fiber found in wheat, while most of the fiber has been removed from white flour during processing. Fiber is an important part of your diet, as it prevents constipation, helps control blood sugar, wards off heart disease, and even assists in weight-loss management.
• Leaveners- We are using both baking powder and baking soda (as mentioned above eggs and incorporating air are also leaveners) in our Cardamom Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe. When a recipe contains baking powder and baking soda, the baking powder does most of the leavening. It is preferred to use both because too much baking powder causes the batter to be bitter tasting and produces a tough crumb. Both baking powder and baking soda are chemical leavening agents that cause batters to rise when baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already present in the batter produced through creaming of ingredients.
• Flaxseed- is also a great source of lignans, which are a powerful antioxidant that helps your body maintain a healthy blood cholesterol level, high in Omega 3 Fatty Acids, high in dietary fiber, helps reduce blood pressure, and improves cholesterol.
• Olive Oil- is widely recognized as one of the world’s healthiest oils. In fact, people tend to live longer and healthier lives in regions where olive oil is a staple part. It is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, contains large amounts of antioxidants, strong anti-inflammatory properties, may help prevent strokes, protective against heart disease
• Honey- has high levels of monosaccharides, fructose, and glucose, and it contains about 70 to 80 percent sugar, which provides its sweetness. Honey also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Modern medical science has managed to find uses for honey in chronic wound management and combating infection.
• Flavorful add in’s- cinnamon and vanilla because they are fabulous!! 🙂
Helpful baking tips for higher elevations:
- If you live 3,000 feet above sea level or more it is considered high elevation and may take longer to cook/bake.
- Adjustments are needed for 5000+ feet and above:
- Reduce baking powder: for each teaspoon, decrease 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Reduce sugar: for each cup, decrease 2 tablespoons.
- Increase liquid: for each cup, add 2 to 4 tablespoons.
- Increase oven temperature by 25 degrees F.
- Check if it is done a little early.
- This takes some trial and error to get it right for you.
Learn more HERE
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour, I use Red Mill's whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp flax seeds, optional
- 2 bananas, peeled and mashed (or blended)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup honey or organic agave
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk, of your choice... I used vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the bananas, apple sauce, honey, olive oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fill lightly greased muffin pan with about 1/4 cup mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops have browned. The inside will be moist!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 6gSugar: 18gProtein: 7g
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Greet the day with a smile and our Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: email@example.com. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
** This recipe was a feature from Kami come to visit with us… she always has delicious healthy recipes to share and I love that!
- Coconut Mango Sweet Rice Recipe
- Easy Lemon Sorbet Recipe
- Pecan Pie Cookies Recipe
- Toasted Ravioli
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Trifle
- Caramel Apple Bundt Cake Recipe
- Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds and BlendTec Giveaway
- Poached Eggs
- Thick and Chunky Chili with Sirloin Recipe
- Rosemary & Pine Nut Biscotti
- Thee BEST Pumpkin Cookies Recipe