Homemade Pumpkin Pie is a recipe from Grandma Knudsen and a tradition at our house for the holidays!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie is to die for!! My daughter made her Grandma Knudsen’s pumpkin pie for our Thanksgiving last year and it was gobbled right up! She even made two and they were both gone before we knew it!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie has a soft and delicious filling that is WAY better than any store bought pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin pie. It does take a little more time and effort than just buying a pie at the store, but it is more than worth it!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie is just what your Thanksgiving needs!
Much Peace and Love
- Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1¾ cups pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1¾ cups milk
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- Homemade Pie Crust:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1¼ cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 tablespoon water (cold)
- Egg White Wash:
- 2 egg whites + 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine pumpkin pie filling in a large bowl; gently whisk to combine; set aside.
- Line pie pans with pie crust, fill with pumpkin mixture.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from the outer edge removes clean.
- At 30 minutes check to see if edges of pie crust is getting too dark cover with a foil tent if needed.
- Pie Crust:
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and salt; mix.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Add egg and vinegar; cut in until pea sized.
- Sprinkle cold water over dough 2 tablespoons at a time, cutting in with each addition.
- Will form into soft dough.
- Work dough as little as possible.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on counter top, roll out ¼ of dough to approx 12 inch circle, lay into 9 or 10 inch pie pan, and trim edges with knife.
- Fill pie with desired filling.
- Flute edge, using pastry brush lightly brush egg white wash over crusts edge.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- yields: 4 crusts
- For decorative edge, use small leaf cookie cutter to cut out dough and place on edge of dough, using a dab of egg whites with finger on the back of each leaf to secure. To braid edges of crust; braid cut strips of dough and secure with a dab of egg white wash. Brush tops with egg whites and bake as directed.
- To weave the top crust of pie; cut 1 inch wide slices out of rolled out crust. Lay them vertically with 1 inch space between each strip on the top of pie. Starting in opposite direction with the same spacing weave each slice under and over the vertical pieces to achieve woven look. Brush with egg whites and bake as directed.