Today’s Homemade Apple Pie Recipe will make all your apple pie dreams come true! The joy of cooking apple pie is about fresh tart green apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and sugar nestled into a homemade pie crust! Heaven. This apple pie recipes is straight from my heart.
Why we love Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Why do you ask???
Because I have many memories of baking this apple pie recipe with my grandma in her kitchen. We hope you’ll be taken back to your grandmas kitchen with every bite too.
Grandma’s Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
I’ll forever cherish my time, baking with her. We talked and laughed as we baked.
Sometimes… I sincerely and honestly wish I could go back to being a young girl, just so that I could go and spend a week at my grandma’s house like I used to do every summer.
Click on these links and try these organic ingredients! Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground, Spectrum Shortening, and
Frontier Organic Vietnamese Cinnamon.
We think you’ll love our Brown Bag Apple Pie a try too!
History of Apple Pie & the story Johnny Appleseed
• The saying “as American as apple pie” describes things that represent the best of American culture. People use this expression when talking about things like blue jeans, baseball, and rock-n-roll music.
• But why use apple pie in our pie? Why not some other fruit, like a cherry or peach? The reason might be a man known as Johnny Appleseed.
• A lot of stories and even a few poems have been written about Johnny Appleseed over the years. They made him into a larger than life folk hero.
• Johnny Appleseed was a real person. It was the name given to a man named John Chapman. Many Americans consider him responsible for popularizing apples in the United States.
• John Chapman was born in Massachusetts in 1774 during the Revolutionary War against Britain. His father reportedly fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill and later served under General George Washington. While John’s mother died in childbirth, his father made it home from battle. He taught his son everything he knew about farming.
• The young Chapman took his father’s lessons to heart. For 40 years, it is said that Johnny Appleseed cleared land and planted apple seeds in the Midwestern states of the U.S. In a short time, the seeds grew to become trees that produced fruit.
• Apples were an important food for the early American settlers. Apples offered something different in daily meals. They were easy to grow and store for use throughout the year.
• Perhaps the story of Johnny Appleseed has made apples and apple pie so very American. Historians can debate that.
Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Today’s Homemade Apple Pie Recipe will make al your apple pie dreams come true!
- Apple Pie Filling:
- 6 cups thinly sliced tart apples, approx 4
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pie Crust:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1¼ cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 tablespoon water, cold
- Egg White Wash:
- 2 egg whites + 1 tablespoon water
- Apple Pie Filling:
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pie Crust:
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and salt; mix.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Add egg and vinegar; cut in until pea sized.
- Sprinkle cold water over dough 2 tablespoons at a time, cutting in with each addition.
- Will form into soft dough.
- Work dough as little as possible.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on counter top, roll out ¼ of dough to approx 12 inch circle, lay into 9 or 10 inch pie pan, and trim edges with knife.
- Fill pie with desired filling.
- Flute edge, using pastry brush lightly brush egg white wash over crusts edge.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- yields: 4 crusts
- For decorative edge, use small leaf cookie cutter to cut out dough and place on edge of dough, using a dab of egg whites with finger on the back of each leaf to secure. Brush with egg whites and bake as directed.
- To weave the top crust of pie; cut 1 inch wide slices out of rolled out crust. Lay them vertically with 1 inch space between each strip on the top of pie. Starting in opposite direction with the same spacing weave each slice under and over the vertical pieces to achieve woven look. Brush with egg whites and bake as directed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 540Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 288mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 6g
More Pie Recipes
- Apple Pie Bites Recipe
- Cranberry Apple Hand Pies
- No Fail Pie Crust
- doTERRA Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- Pie Crust Cookies
- Homemade Strawberry Pie
- Disney’s Caramel-Apple Pie
- Grandma’s Apple Pie
- Sweet Peach Petite Pies
- Creme de Mint Pie
- Brown Bag Apple Cinnamon Pie
- Disney Flo’s V8 Cafe Strawberry-Rhubard Pie
Enjoy a slice of our Homemade Apple Pie Recipe this autumn!
One more thing before you go…
We love creating recipes and sharing our adventures with you, so if you can do us a huge favor it’d really support us! It’s easier to stay motivated to share our best with you when we hear from you! We adore our readers and it really makes our day to get comments, social tags/shares, or pins that you save for later to share with your family and friends.
Our hearts sing when you do.
We SEE you and we do our very best to respond to all the love! It also amps up our mo-jo so we get lots of awesome things done around here. Please reach out if you have questions or comments via our email: email@example.com. We’re excited to see you again soon!
Cooking with Ruthie on Instagram
Cooking with Ruthie on Pinterest
Cooking with Ruthie on Facebook
Thanks for sharing in the CWR blog-love!
Ruthie & Madeliene
Leave a Reply