No Fail Pie Crust
No Fail Pie Crust...
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3 C flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1¼ C shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 6 Tbsp water (cold)
- 2 (15 oz) cans fruit filling
- 2 egg white, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and salt, mix.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or 2 knives, add egg, vinegar.
- Cut in until incorporated.
- Sprinkle cold water over dough 2 Tablespoons at a time, cutting in with each addition.
- Will form into soft dough.
- Work dough as little as possible.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on counter top, roll out ¼ of dough to approx 12 inch circle, lay into 9 or 10 inch pie pan, trim edges with knife.
- Fill pie with desired filling.
- Flute edge, using pastry brush lightly brush egg whites over crusts edge.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- yields: 4 crusts
- For decorative edge, use small leaf cookie cutter to cut out dough and place on edge of dough, using a dab of egg whites with finger on the back of each leaf to secure. Brush with egg whites and bake as directed.
- To weave the top crust of pie; cut 1 inch wide slices out of rolled out crust. Lay them vertically with 1 inch space between each strip on the top of pie. Starting in opposite direction with the same spacing weave each slice under and over the vertical pieces to achieve woven look. Brush with egg whites and bake as directed.
No Fail Pie Crust… is Grandma Linda’s pie crust recipe, you ought to see the amazing amounts of pies she can whip out in half the time it took for the three of us to make ours 🙂
I hope your Friday is an easy going one that leads into a weekend full of Holiday fun!!