Homemade Stuffing ...
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1 loaf whole wheat bread
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 heads of celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- turkey giblets
- 8 C water
- At least 24 hours before making stuffing cut loafs of bread into 1 inch squares and dry out on 2 cookie sheets, occasionally stirring to allow even drying.
- (If breads not quite dry heat oven to 200 degrees place 1 cookie sheet at a time in oven, stirring ever 5 minutes until completely dry).
- When you put your turkey in to cook, place the giblets in a sauce pan with water to slowly simmer covered for hours even over night is fine.
- (This is how to make broth for the stuffing but I don't actually put giblets in my stuffing.)
- In a large fry pan melt butter, add onions and celery, cook until soft (approx 7-8 minutes).
- In a very large mixing bowl, place dry bread, add onion mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
- Evenly sprinkle half of spices over bread, stir.
- Drizzle 2 cups of broth, a half cup at a time, over bread, stirring with each addition.
- Add remaining spices, stir.
- Add remaining liquid in the same manor.
- Place stuffing in a 9x13 baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until warmed through.
* Grandma Linda taught me how to make homemade stuffing and this recipe is from her 🙂
Homemade Stuffing is moist and SO savory delicious! I’m not a fan of stuffing baked in the bird, I think it turns out like a big clump of mush! SO, give this recipe a try and you’ll be wonderfully happy with the results!
AND I have to give a big Thank You to my son, Jake. I’ve actually never measured out these spices before- I usually just add as I go- tasting along the way. He took notes for me as we made it this year so I could share the recipe with all of you! What a sweet boy I have 🙂
Tomorrow, I’ll be posting a fabulous turkey recipe for you to enjoy with this stuffing for the Holidays!
Bread, Butter, Celery, onions
January 17, 2023
- Herbed Ricotta Appetizer Recipe
- Pasta & Red Sauce, Basil Chicken, & Caramelized Parsnips Recipe
- Purple Basil, Olive, Ricotta Crostini Recipe
- Lemon Herb Halibut with Herbed Rice Recipe
- Honey Molasses Baked Beans Recipe
- Cilantro Ranch Dressing Recipe
- Thee Best Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe
- Creamed Peas and New Potatoes Recipe