Beef Bourguignon is a classic French dish that has been adored for years and years! It’s comfort food at it’s finest but don’t worry it’s simple enough to successfully make in your own kitchen!
When I first made this dish in Culinary School I was intrigued, reading over the recipe I thought it was sure to be a great dish. I didn’t realize exactly how delightful it truly was until that first bite! I was in heaven… the name may sound complicated but the technique is not and can totally be duplicated in your kitchen.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 spring fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 pound chuck beef cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 to matoes quartered
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup mushrooms quartered
- 15 pearl onions boiled and peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over mashed potatoes prepare
- Combine garlic, onions, carrot, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and wine in a large bowl; stir to combine.
- Add meat and marinade in fridge for minimum of 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Remove meat from marinade and reserve juices.
- Heat oil in large oven proof stock pot or ceramic dutch oven- over medium high heat, sear meat until well browned.
- Do this in small batches, to get a nice brown.
- Return all meat to pot, sprinkle with flour and cook to make a roux, add tomato paste and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade, tomatoes, and brown stock.
- Move pot to oven and cook until meat is tender- approx. 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove meat, strain sauce and reserve.
- In same pot add butter and saute mushrooms and onions, cook 5 minutes.
- Add meat and strained sauce back to pot and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve over prepared mashed potatoes and enjoy!
We’ve finally gotten a bunch of snow this last week and I think you’ll agree that there’s nothing better on a cold day than a big helping of some fabulous comfort food! Mmmm hmmmm.
You’ll making this savory Beef Bourguignon dish for your family to enjoy 🙂
Much Love and Peace~